Walter De Veer 2005 - Form Guide.

JAY K said:
Anthony ,
could not agree more I had a ball and bowled with some of the best as I have said Jason what an honour to have bowled with you and the rest of NT you all kept it true. I will be trying out again next year and even if I do not make the team, I will put in for the draft and still be going to the national . To all the new friends made and past one really nice to see you all again and will see you all in Tassie.
Peter this could be a solution to the problem as in league why not regarded after every 3 games would that not make it a far game across the board just a thought and are you going to do the mixed doubles interstate team
first drink on me in Tassie and please keep the hand of the monkey
Jeanette :rolleyes: :cool:

The monkey has been moved to a 'safe house', and hasn't been spanked since.

Yep, I told PC about the idea of a mixed doubles tourney the night after the welcome squad. I'll keep on his back about it. He thought it was a pretty good idea.

That would be great as quick a few people would love to do it ????????? if you know what i mean read you soon

Jeanette ;)

JAY K said:
That would be great as quick a few people would love to do it ????????? if you know what i mean read you soon
Jeanette ;)

Yes .. I know what you mean ... many have tried, but I'm not worth the $50.

Ice said:
You'll have to clarify that for me...what JKay was saying. What's she talking bout?

Not sure ... something about approaches, balls, mixed teams, pins, splits, open frames and targets. If I work it out, I'll keep you abreast of the situation.

Hello Hello Hello

What a De Veer it has been for one and all.

Well I would like to congrates those that won the GREAT TOURNAMENT mens and ladies all well DONE!!!

To my fellow team mates we bowled hard and strong and gave our best and competitive when needed like we do every year. One day it will all pay off and we will be rewarded for our hard work.

I would like to say that I have read the comments posted good and bad which some may agree and some may not agree about certain "averages" bowled in Nationals.

Lets all get our heads together as there is enough of them and lets see if we as fellow bowlers can think of ways to better the De Veer and maybe the people in the right places see our ideas and take them aboard for next year and hopefully we will all win out.

I have one idea that may be of some interest to fellow De Veer bowlers:

Lets stage the tournament over 1 week the first 3 days as normal but the four top placegetters continue over the next two days playing a finals series that will eventually have one winner but still have a combined teams effort maybe bonus points if finals are reached

Just an idea so dont shoot me down ideas would be better

And yes Pete that mixed tournament would be great I think revenge would be sweet

Regards
Shayne Hendriksen
Captain WA Team De Veer

Despite all the bitching I don't think there would be one person who wouldn't want to milk a couple of extra days. Don't shoot nogum down! You know you'd all luv it

Possible suggestions for true averages.

Firstly, thank you for all of your comments I was very impressed that their was no finger pointing and the comments were constructive.

So long as everyone knows how the averages are generated then some people are going to try and modify their averages to gain an advantage. Scratch bowling won't work because people like Andy Godkins would never have a chance and that is not the idea of the tournament. The best bowler would win but not the best restricted bowler and that is the aim of the competition. No one said it would be easy right?

The averages they used this year (other than highest all events averages) worked well although I would suggest what was just suggested before. Checking the average bowled at the previous Walter De Veer and if it was higher than all the other averages use that instead.

This would make it quite difficult for some people, for example Jason who bowled his guts out and got a 196 average. I think witht his average he would find it difficult but I would like to point out he still won games with a 219 average and he has proven under pressure he can bowl at his Walter De Veer average level.

It would also be difficult for me but I am willing to have to bowl at my best to win if a little bit of hard work means all the people who have previously "managed" their averages no longer have any advantage. People may still "manage" their averages in Walter De Veer but it is a lot harder to do and that average will most likely be the most accurate.

You will still get people "managing" their averages on their first year but it will help stop repeat offenders, it might even put new offenders more under the spotlight. Previous offenders may be annoyed they can't do it anymore and may be gunning for new people "managing" their averages and we all know takes one to know one right?

Just a thought and expanding on suggestions already made. I can not think of anything fairer than this at the moment.

Having an extra tournament is never a bad idea, the only problem may be is if people who bowl their guts out to win may get re-averaged too highly for Walter De Veer. I can tell you now if there is any chance of this the people who “manage” their averages aren’t going to excel. All that being said I would still love to bowl an extra tournament. :p

Any more suggestions?

I agree that using a bowlers All Events average did not work this year. Too many people slipped under the radar. An all event entry just recorded your top 3 events and if you bowled more than this, these other events (with lower scores) were disregarded.

It would appear a fairer way is the regrading based on prior year DeVeer performances. Although I did not make the team this year my previous years experience has shows this has encouraged me to improve.
First year in 124 average - bowled 20 pins over average for the tournament 2nd year league average 135 - bowled just over
3rd year subject to regrading to a 140 but league average was 143 on entry
In 2 years my average had improved some 20 pins due to the coaching and encouragement of my fellow team members.

Isn't this what competing in the Nationals is about, personal challenges to be faced, improving your bowling, revelling in the honour of competing at your best for your State, enjoying the competition with others and doing your best with honour and grace (and trying to kidnap the monkey).

Sandbaggers or average managers""come and go but honest bowlers and friendships last forever.

mannah said:
Sandbaggers or average managers""come and go but honest bowlers and friendships last forever.

couldn't have said it better myself Lyn!!!=D>

Broni

I would like to say something i think this tournament should be bowled on scratch scores as every is having ago why not make it scratch same entering averages just make it scratch not handicap at all plus walter de veer is ment to be a stepping stone into Rachuig.

Laterz all

KnuckleHead said:
I would like to say something i think this tournament should be bowled on scratch scores as every is having ago why not make it scratch same entering averages just make it scratch not handicap at all plus walter de veer is ment to be a stepping stone into Rachuig.
Laterz all

My interpretation of Walter De Veer was that it was for all the bowlers who could not yet bowl at a scratch level or may never be able to bowl at a scratch level because of a physical disability or whatever other reason -- lack of money, lack of time, etc.

There is not much at all available for people to bowl at a restricted level in a national environment. It would be a great shame to change Walter De Veer to scratch in my opinion and anyone who tried to change it, I would fight to the bitter end.

That is just my opinion and you are welcome to disagree.

Mannah said,
"Sandbaggers or average managers"come and go but honest bowlers and friendships last forever.

Like Broni said as well, I couldn't agree anymore. The so called "Average Managers" will be found out in the long run.

LONG LIVE DE VEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel "Speedbump" Simpson
:lol:

HTML:
Long live De Verr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Well said i hope i'm bowling next year but don't know where my new ball's will take me hoping higher lol;)
Gary.........................................:cool:

WELL SANDBAGGERS AVERAGE MANAGERS HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS BUT EVERYBODY HAS TO REMEMBER THIS IS A GAME ITS ABOUT HAVING FUN AND MEETING NEW PEOPLE I BOWLED W.D.V. TWO YEARS AND MADE GREAT FRIENDS WITH LOTS OF MEMORYS AND WERE NOT PLAYING FOR SHEEPSTATIONS I STILL SAY ITS THE BEST TOURNAMENT IVE EVER BEEN IN CHEERS.

Yes ur right it's the best comp going around i love it:)

Gary.................................:cool:

BUT EVERYBODY HAS TO REMEMBER THIS IS A GAME ITS ABOUT HAVING FUN AND MEETING NEW PEOPLE

Well, not exactly. It is a sport and I think there is a big difference. Yes, you do have fun and meet new people but for some it is not a mere social event. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun as much as the next person (as everybody knows me will tell you) but I also take my bowling seriously.

Your right Ice ...

Somewhere in the middle of all the freindships and camararderie, the parties, the laughs, the drinks and the fun is a bowling tournament.

Sorry I missed it.:D

Ice said:
Well, not exactly. It is a sport and I think there is a big difference. Yes, you do have fun and meet new people but for some it is not a mere social event. Don't get me wrong, I like to have fun as much as the next person (as everybody knows me will tell you) but I also take my bowling seriously.

I couldn't agree with you more Ice. I bowled in a junior league and took my bowling too seriously and stopped having fun that is why I stopped bowling for about 10 years. Now that I am "old"er I am enjoying getting back into bowling and I do take the sport very seriously, but there is a difference. I am not about to stop having fun. It is possible to have fun and take the sport seriously at the same time. If anyone no longer has fun in a sport they should seriously consider giving up the sport. Just because I plan on making people who cheat responsible for their actions doesn't mean I am not going to continue to have fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom