Emerson Shield 2005

Before the Official thread Moderator creates his odds, how about we make some predictions of how we think other teams might go. (Exclude own centre as most people will probably pick themselves to win).

My order (excluding Colac)

Melton
Werribee
Ed Fleming lanes
Shepparton
Sunraysia
Geelong
Bendigo
Narre Warren (don't know anything about them)
Rosebud (don't know anything about them either)

Gary Black

These thoughts are for the men!!

Top three will be out of;
Werribee (courier is on his way back from the engravers already)
Melton (defending champions always a chance)
Ed Fleming lanes (always put on a reasonable show)
Narre Warren (won't be on the bottom after day one)
Geelong (always a chance, also)

I wouldn't discount these teams from making an impact, perhaps they will drag out a 'sunday super sub' that carries them through.
Colac
Shepparton
Sunraysia
Bendigo
Rosebud

10 Games on Day One, and 8 on Day Two, will be a test for everyone. Those folks used to long days of bowling, and the way the team lineups are managed will be two important ingredients to ending up near the top of the heap.

Vaughnn said:
These thoughts are for the men!!
I only quoted Men also - not because i am not interested in the Women's results, but mainly because, other than Paige, none of the women seem to post anything in this thread.

Women should be out of
Shepparton
Ed Fleming
Sunraysia
Werribee
Geelong
Colac
(How's that for putting my neck on the line - narrowing it down to six...lol)

Why should the women from any the teams reply to this thread? Personally I think the men are having enough say for all of us. ;)

I also feel that Werribee women has a good chance in winning this years Emerson, :D closely followed by Shep. But we really don't know on how everyone is going to cope with the 10 games on day 1 and 8 games on day 2. We will just have to wait and see who has got the most stamina over the 2 days.

But lets get out there and do the best we can and have some fun while doing it. :rolleyes:

Nat

granat said:
Why should the women from any the teams reply to this thread? Personally I think the men are having enough say for all of us. ;)
Very true Nat, but nice to hear some different opinions from time to time.

when your focussed on moving forward, you tend not to look behind, so i haven't put any thought into positions 2 - 10

but odds usually reflect where everyone will run ;)

Thankyou for thinking of us women Gary.

And Nat good to hear from you again.

And remember just because they don't post anything ( as the men are doing such a good job of it all themselves ) doesn't mean that they aren't reading the thread. There are lots of people who read and don't post and thats just from Shepp!!

What will be will be and the weekend will be great chance to catch up will people who we only see a couple of times a year! Oh and that doesn't count the Delta concert either!!

Paige

the delta concert was the substitute for country cup, seeing by the time i got to the country cup dinner dance, most the bowlers had gone, luckily i still had the mildura crew to entertain me, and motts

maybe your right lance, i highly doubt it, but just maybe

many people read and dont reply, yes especially all them geelong folk as well, although after meltons form, i doubt we be hearing from anyone except for carmers.

look gary, all the women love you, aint that sweet, while your out there charming them, gives me the freedom to think of other things more important, like watching the grass grow. (oh come on, i have behaved myself for months, i had to slip a remark in sooner or later) :p :p :p

but in dealing in womens topics, i feel its a 5 horse race werribee, ed flemming, shepparton, sunraysia and geelong if the 2 young guns hit form

gees after really thinking of it, the womens might be quite exciting, maybe i'll have a look at about game 15 after we have it in the bag, well its either that, or slip out to the car for a few ales, and well thats what we did at melton

You know Woza, I sat there and went through the whole damn lot. In the end I thought that the one of Ralph was most fitting.

We are similar in so many ways.:rolleyes: :p

i'd say not

whether they let the incoming player(s) have a warm up frame on each lane at the start of a match, or nobody warms up, who knows what they are going to do

odds update

werribee (evens)

winner of their zone, victory over rachuig, evens is being way too generous, but many weeks to go and to firm, loss of the coach who is now the national coach of rowboater is a huge loss, wonder if they've found that national anthem yet??? he will be easily replaced by the cougar girl

shepparton 3/1

gaining respect, the way i see it, the best bowlers going at the moment are the youth, and with shepp having an abundance of high quality youth bowlers, it could be the ingredient needed to yet make them get close but not win another title

melton 3/1

with the loss of adrian, these guys could have easily blown out in the odds, but at the moment i will continue the generosity, defending champions will have everyone busting to kick them, and i honestly dont think they will have the fire power to overcome the onslught

ed flemming 5/1

winner of their zone and with the likely hood of the soft soft being the go at mentone, these guys will feel right at home, only difference being, most of the better bowlers will be (at home that is), they will be competitive, but inexperience will cost them dearly at times

geelong 15/1

like the team above, most of the top players will be conserving energy that weekend, whether it be doing cardio vascular strengthening activities or not, i know they wont be at mentone helping to bring the sheild back home after surprisingly losing it on their home paddock, and as i say, if you can't win at home, where can you win

bendigo 15/1

winner of their zone, which seems to be the new "dream zone" gains them little respect from me, they will put up a fight, but 3/4's and 4/3's dont win emmerson shields and they win way too many of them

colac 20/1

18 games, this is a marathon , not a sprint race, they lead at melton to lunch, but relinquished it, the same will happen again at the big show, will threaten when swinging, so maybe late on saturday and sunday could be stealing some matches they mightn't have won earlier in the day which could cause some turmoil for some of the guys fighting it out at the top

sunraysia 25/1

these guys are definately used to going the distance, the question remains will the 6 hour trip down, take its toll??? can too many cans be consumed over such a distance, will it affect the performance of this team, personally i think it will takes its toll hence my rating

narre warren 50/1

it takes more than one, with emmerson getting stronger each year, i find narre slipping further away as each year goes, hoggy will do his best to get the most out of his chargers, but i think the scoring pace will be too high for these guys to keep up

rosebud 999/1

home centre advantage at zones to run third, good luck guys, your gonna need it

ALL STARS

porto
harford
dyer
hamilton
chandler

roughies

jason newman, anthony warner, adam hayes and kevin wilkins

rank outsiders

woza, motts, mckinnon, martin, flynn, flynn, campbell and emmett

craig said:
werribee (evens)
winner of their zone, victory over rachuig, evens is being way too generous, but many weeks to go and to firm, loss of the coach who is now the national coach of rowboater is a huge loss, wonder if they've found that national anthem yet??? he will be easily replaced by the cougar girl

Evens??

For an unproven lot? a bunch that missed the finals last year? You had a win over Rachuig on a hit and giggle weekend where your star player wanted to play with the chicks. I see how serious you guys were about that....can only imagine about the Rachuig team.

Evens?? Jeez I hope they create some toughness of conditions where you cant swing it...I gots the feeling that Mentone is going to play right into the hands of you area blokes and convince you that you are better than you are :splat:

On a more serious note...I need at least 8/1 about Melton here, but not because of the loss of Adrian (he didnt have such a good weekend last year though came good toward the end) He will be a loss, but our general team attitude is somewhat "less" than what it could be.

Regardless, should be great fun and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

craig said:
loss of the coach who is now the national coach of rowboater is a huge loss, wonder if they've found that national anthem yet??? he will be easily replaced by the cougar girl
Looking forward to seeing the cougar girl :p
Might pay to keep her away from Porto though – especially after his antics during practice against Rachuig teams.

You seem to be getting conservative regarding the odds of your team this year. “Only” evens for Werribee this year, yet a million to one on for Geelong last year?

I also notice that you have put three Werribee bowlers in your Allstars and one as a roughie – don’t you rate the other three? (lol - stirring)

What was it you told “Bambam” last year
“The curse will strike again
THOU WHO SAY HE WILL MAKE ALLSTARS WILL NOT EVEN GET CLOSE
History will tell you that”
– I just hope you haven’t jinxed yourself:rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I think you have assessed the odds pretty well – depending on conditions. If scores are high I think Shepparton will be right in it. They had three bowlers over the card this year at CCup and two of them were 100+ over. I also think Geelong may firm in from 15/1 if the lanes go long.

I don’t think Colac will be too worried about the 18 game “marathon” Most of us bowl 22 games every year at CCup. Hopefully, we can surprise a few teams at long odds.

For the record – my allstars (not that anyone probably cares)

Porto
Hamilton
Carmichael
Wilkins
Hayes

Roughies

Farquharson, Threlfall, Fahy, Kerr, Hinchliffe, Bagg, Dyer, Newman, Chandler, Garioch

Long shots

Motta (the further away the better) – just kidding Jason!

Predictions / Certainties
Winning totals will be between 80-85 points.
A team in the bottom five will be heard complaining about the conditions
Ray “Krusty” Mischler and Steve “The mouth” Toth will get on everybodies nerves before lunch time on Saturday (including their team mates)
If anyone bowls a 300 it will be against me.
Any women’s teams that can bowl better than Shepparton will win.
Paige will be wearing pink.
At least one of the three Gariochs will be in an allstars team.
Everybody will be trying extra hard to beat Craig
Woza will try for a last minute rule change, that allows the team with the highest pinfall in each zone to qualify for the final.
Shepparton Men will finish higher than Werribee Men
The team that drinks the most on Saturday, won’t be in front on Sunday afternoon
Porto and Cougar girl will get engaged during the presentation ceremony.
Everyone will have a ball!
Someone will start a thread called Emerson Shield 2006 and this will all start again.

Back
Top Bottom