Emerson Shield 2005

So what are you doing Gary :confused:
Bowling everyone to get their games up to bowl your strongest 5 for the last couple or are you bowling your strongest 3 every game and sharing the other 4.

Thats the dilema - Country Cup has it easy but in that sense but at the same token I wouldnt change the way that it is run either.

Country Cup you expect to be up against the best game in game out.
Emerson is more tactical if a combination of 5 fires you still have to make changes.

I am fond of both formats and each has is own place. 2 different tournaments potentially equally as challenging as each oher

Ideally, i would like to get to the last few games with all bowlers qualified and then choose my best team. I was just trying to make the point that there are many variables including bowling up to 3 bowlers in every game. I like the format too, i think it adds an extra dimension to how you go about choosing which bowlers get a game. Much better than just bowl your best 5 all day and give the other couple lots of time on the practice lanes (it usually seems to be me mastering the practice lanes anyway!)

Would just like to say a big congrats to all the teams that have made it through to the state final for this year. Once again some new teams are going when you look at the list of the qualifiers.

Rosebud on the weekend was most definetly a big challange for all those that competed. With all team having a bye, it made for some interesting challenges, and no re-oil half way also proved to be great challange on very drying lanes. :mad:

Ed Fleming men was not our best :( we will be working hard in the coming months to work on a number of things to improve for the final. Our draw did not help with the timing of bye, preventing a flow for our bowlers over the course of the weekend. After all, we bowled 1 game, then had a bye, then bowled another game, then stoped for lunch for an hour, then bowled 2 games. The team fought hard, but we found that the game after each break was our worst, but scrapped through just.

The ladies team was extremly impressive over the entire weekend, and look to be a big contender for the final, as do Narre men on the performance at Rosebud.

Looks like being another great final. Good luck to all sides in November.

The next big challenge is now to work out how to bring in a supper sub, once our players have completed the required number of games.. ;)

Trying to work out how to make sure all players have completed the required number of games quickly will be the biggest challange to ensure you can bowl the people you need in the crunch matches at the end of the weekend, when it might all be on the line. Oh let the fun and games begin. Have we all got our calculators ready, pens and paper, lane draws, and what otehr methods we are going to use to try and figure the best line ups out for the potential show down, that turns out to be the team nobody even thought about....ie Rosebud this year for eastern zone...

Well that sums it up beautifully Lance.

I think for my Narre men to win, we may need to find an especially super, super sub. Perhaps Nathan and Woza from Morwell, might like to join a couple of leagues at Narre Warren, so we can use them as our Sunday super subs.

The most interesting part of the weekend was lunchtime on Sunday, when the 2nd and 3rd spot in both the men and ladies comp was up for grabs.

The final will be another thing for every team. It all starts again, there will be no byes, bowler fatigue will become a factor, and reoiling of the lanes will occur.

Vaughnn said:
Perhaps Nathan and Woza from Morwell, might like to join a couple of leagues at Narre Warren, so we can use them as our Sunday super subs.

I'll be there Vaughnn - Hoggy said he needed a pacer - for Saturday night that is ;)

well i am back from mildura, and its great to see the forum is cooking with so much enthusiasm

nice to see that morwell finally proved they were over rated, and that lances team, the kings of shafting the good teams at the zones held true to form, i can only imagine how much he is smiling now.

now whats with this super sub crap

i have taken it upon myself to name glenn loader as our super sub, just in case this blows way out of proportion.

who's this joker saying werribee will be in at 100/1, your dreaming, we are firming even more now, well i know i am firming of the news that morwell missed out, bummer hey woza :p

strategy, heres a good strategy for you all, knock some pins over whn you play us, cause if you don't, its gonna get ugly and the infamous "game over" might be chanted early into the match

anyhow, i will read all the crap tonight, and might post a bit later on

be good to your mother, she might have to sub for you one night

Hey Craig,
We should use Rocket Rods brother as our super sub ..doe he have a brother ??Rod going to put us all to sleep imagine what 2 of them will do,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....november is here i wish :p
Scotty 2 Hotty

craig said:
who's this joker saying werribee will be in at 100/1, your dreaming, we are firming even more now,

Happy for you to call me the Joker. :cool:
Batman's arch enemy, and the chap from memory who views every crime, infliction of pain, and murder as the ultimate joke - and like Batman, has an identity which is mostly unknown.

There are now two great Emerson examples, where although pinfall is important, that this does not guarantee success. I am sure the great Werribee team will have learnt this lesson from history.

Woza clearly identified that Morwell suffered from having to play the best team lineups each game, which I am sure is what will happen to those teams given the best odds for November. ;)

There will be no Mentone in either Men's or Ladies, so no home ground advantage. Although Craig I am sure you are happy to take all comers - anytime - anywhere.

correct

werribee team has made all the neccessary changes to its list and mangement to ensure a positive result come november

werribee 2004, who were they???

it is 2005 isn't it??? ;)

there could only be one rocket, couldn't there???

Hey Craig,

We are all smilling in this team mate. Was a tuff strugle, but we won the required points to get through once again. As l have said before, it is all about win / loss ration, not how many pins you knock down in this event. If you dont beat the guy you are bowling you can never win the event. Hey we prove it year in year out. The first 2 years when we won, l know we did not have that great a team average on the day in the final, but we won our head to heads and the overall's. Mind you this is the 1st year we did not finish 1st in the zone final, or do you not want to hear that...... :D

The state final we be a big change from the lanes at Rosebud, we will not have to start with the good old PLASTIC BALL from the second ball of practice, as a number of the Ed Fleming bowlers resorted to straight away, to reduce the over reaction and be able to hit the pocket all day long, well the lefties pocket anyway :rolleyes:

I am sure we are all looking forward to the new finals format this year, with 10 teams in the final, a bigger and better event, much longer day for a lot of the bowlers as well, will make for some very interesting results.

Everyone remember now, you still have to win the point, does not matter if you bowl 250 every game or 150 every game, if you win you win, if you lose you lose. The only good thing about shooting higher games is it helps for the overall pinfall, and those 2 points are the most crucial of them all, as it can change the results very quickly.

xpense said:
Everyone remember now, you still have to win the point, does not matter if you bowl 250 every game or 150 every game, if you win you win, if you lose you lose. The only good thing about shooting higher games is it helps for the overall pinfall, and those 2 points are the most crucial of them all, as it can change the results very quickly.

You are 100% right Lance - the overall is the key 3 out of 4 on Saturday, 0 out of 4 on Sunday - 2 losses by less than 17 pins.

It was alot closer than people realise - Going down to the final fame of the last game - Morwell had the bye. Naree was the only team guarnteed of going through. Rosebud needed only 1 point to secure its spot in the State final, Ed Flemming needed a minimum of 3 and supersubs needed at least 5. Ed Flemming secured 2 points with their first 2 bowlers but it wasnt until the 5th bowler got through his match in the 10th that Ed Flemming went through. If it went Rosebuds way then Ed Fleming would have missed out.

In the end 3 out of 8 overalls cost us the chance of being in the final.

No mentone in the final in either field - Head Tech at Mentone could have a field day ;)

It certainly shows how strong the final will be when it is so tough to get past the zone finals. I look at the zone we are in and we have last years Men's winners (Melton), last years runner up (and winner from year before) Geelong as well as the team that are apparently already across the line this year (according to Craig :)) Werribee.
If we can't win it, then i will certainly be hoping that one of those three teams in our zone win, so that they are exempt from zone finals next year. I don't fancy trying to finish ahead of Melton, Werribee and Geelong in a zone final every year!

Woza,
You are quite correct about how close it really was, and up to the 8th frame of the last game, even Mentone could have made it through, with their super sub.

The final may quite possibly be the closest for a while, and those two game points are likely the most important of all. Even though Craig will single handedly bowl enough pins for Werribee to win every game, second and third spots may quite possibly be up for grabs.

I will wait with "baited" breath for Craig's Odds...

Gee l dont know about this. Craig keeps going on about Werribee being over the line, but hey l am sure he said that last year about Geelong (oh thats right he pulled out, thats why they lost :cool: ).

I think the state final is going to be a very close encounter, and someone from nowhere is going to be the smokey, and be right there at the end of the weekend. I hope it us, would love to put the name on the trophy for a 3rd time, but you never know whats going to happen.

The mechanic at Mentone, could do whatever from session to session to make it very interesting indeed, or he could be nice and give us the pattern from the masters event in March. Watch the high scores roll if that happens. 1200 to win a series if we get that. :p All stars 225+ without a probs. :rolleyes:

I'm with you Adam - I might as well stay home if 1200's are gonna be needed to win games.

225+ for All Stars - i doubt it - not over 18 games and two days - be a good effort for even one guy to be that high.

Re: last years odds for Geelong -- i think just before the final they were quoted at 1/1,000,000 - I don't think Craig will make that mistake again.

Hey guys, the figures quoted for all stars are possible if they put down the pattern they used for the Masters National tournament in March.

After all to make the top 4 you had to shoot 1400 for 6 to get throught o round 3 straight.

The pattern was very high scoring, and very open as well. Anything is possible depending on what gets laid.

Not all games will need to be 1200 to win, but on that pattern it could be very possible on a regular basis.

xpense said:
Hey guys, the figures quoted for all stars are possible if they put down the pattern they used for the Masters National tournament in March.

After all to make the top 4 you had to shoot 1400 for 6 to get throught o round 3 straight.

The pattern was very high scoring, and very open as well. Anything is possible depending on what gets laid.

Not all games will need to be 1200 to win, but on that pattern it could be very possible on a regular basis.

Makes it a very top heavy tournament...no way the smaller centres with less calibre of bowlers could compete with the guys who could open up the ditch. Colac and Rosebud did so well due to the tougher conditions put up at Melton and Rosebud...if the condition is hit anywhere between 5 and 13 board at the arrows and you are in the pocket...well it changes the dynamic totally. I think the reason we did so well last year is that the condition was no gimme, top average of 214 and only a handful if that above 200. Personally I'd like to see a much more competitive tournament with lower scoring than bowlers going coast to coast and averaging 230. I know it could happen, I just hope it doesnt.

rychenroller said:
Personally I'd like to see a much more competitive tournament with lower scoring than bowlers going coast to coast and averaging 230. I know it could happen, I just hope it doesnt.

Fully aggree, would love the tough condition. Would make for more fun. Means the teams that are good bowlers, not just good area players come into thier own. I know the guys at EFL would prefer an open pattern as it suits the conditions the play on week to week, but personally, you only get better by bowling on tight closed lane patterns.

Lets hope the open pattern is not used. Maybe they could lay something like a sport pattern, sort the bowlers from the area players. :D

Back
Top Bottom