Country Cup 2008

Well what can I say - Congrats to Shepp in the mens and ladies. It has been along time coming but you guys have finally gotten one
Hard luck to the Sunraysia guys - know exactly how you guys are feeling after being in that position twice before but I can tell you from experience that when you do win one it makes it all that much sweeter
Travvy I will have to borrow one of those eight pound balls that you throw and maybe I will carry that 5,7,10 ;) Also we know why you and Deano always post after one another I dont think I saw either of you two more than a meter aparat at any stage over the weekend.
Have to agree with Griffo - Last night was great a few cold ones and a chat. We need to find some way of having a dinner/dance every year - dont know how but we gotta make it happen
Rob you are a true sportsman in donating that ball that you won as Most Valuable Player to young Matt and I think the applause when it was announced speaks for itself.
I will try and summerise what I think Country Cup means to alot of us bowlers
Ask a few bowlers who have bowled 1 or 2 Country Cups - They will say it is a great tournament made some great friends and will be back next year
Ask someone that has bowled 3 or 4 - They will also say it is a great tournament, caught up with some great frinds but you have bowl as a team from first frame game 1 Sat morning to last frame game 22 Mon night and have a little bit of luck along the way to have a chance at winning
Ask anyone that has bowled more than 5 or 6 and never won - Greatest tournament going around caught up with some great mates and be willing to trade almost anything to hold up that trophy on Monday night.
Ask anyone that has won one - greatest feeling ever great team effort cant wait until next year to do it all again
That is the passion, the atmosphere and the desire to win that this tournament creates - it is addictive and the adrelin rush can be huge and that is only the bowling side of the weekend throw in some great mates, a few cold ones and a few tall tales - life dont get any better
To the Ballarat Bowl, Staff and techs great job all weekend
To Webby who announced his CCup retirement after the last game on Monday - There are some fantastic memories, some great wins and it has been a pleasure to bowl in a team with you.
Hope everyone got home safely and see you all next year

That would be impossible and unfair to either team (mens and womens) the lanes and conditions in each center are drastically different. Would could make the decision who bowls where???

oopps who could make the decision

Congrats to the Shepp teams on their win and well done to all teams on their efforts yet again it was a great tourny can't wait till next year at home. Bad luck in the end to the Sunraysia guys it was a hard fought weekend you all bowled awesome.

Thank you to all the staff at Ballarat for a smooth weekend.

That would be impossible and unfair to either team (mens and womens) the lanes and conditions in each center are drastically different. Would could make the decision who bowls where???
As a suggestion i think that the idea would be for the men to bowl the first round (currently 11 games) at Albury and the women bowl the first round at Wodonga then for the second round (next 11 games) they swap centres - Men at Wodonga and women at Albury - this would enable a reasonable finishing time and neither centre is disadvantaged financially as they hold it twice this way in the 11 year cycle. (they hold it this way when it is both alubury and then wodongas turn) For one of the events Albury could organise the dinner/dance and Wodonga the other - That would make it 4 years out of every 11 where everyone bowls at the same time.

Travvy I will have to borrow one of those eight pound balls that you throw and maybe I will carry that 5,7,10 ;) Also we know why you and Deano always post after one another I dont think I saw either of you two more than a meter aparat at any stage over the weekend.

:rofl:

Nothing wrong with an 8 pound ball... :shy:

The catch up would be a great idea, let everyone meet up and chat etc off the lanes..

Being such a long tournament/weekend makes it hard time wise, would need to be on the friday night if anything, but that limits the drinking for some..
Motta would be right though :JD::5shotss::beerchug:

Ash

What Trace was alluding to was to play one complete round in each facility. All bowlers would then get the same conditions.

Just some thoughts.

i would personally like to thank everyone who hopped on board for the journey on the weekend.

i personally admit it was absolutely gut wrenching how it ended, but at the end of the day, my mates in pink just wanted it more when it was there to be won, and a whole hearted congratulations goes out to them.

this weekend we went somewhere we have never been before, next time we will manage it much better

like it is every year, it was great to catch up with all my friends.

thanks kevin for paying $20 of the fifty you owe me, and well done to travvy for winning me that money

thanks farqy for robbing me of some of the hard earned

a big thank you to marie and shannon for the tireless work you both put in over the weekend, its always nice to be around pleasant company also to the BTBA and all other staff in the bowl

also congratulations to the new look..... built for speed, not for comfort woza, like as though you really need more speed ;)

congratulations to ray on making all stars, now i hope for the next 10 years, all i will hear from you, is how much you want to win a country cup or 10

well done to rob on his great form and extremely generous gesture, i think a few around would have liked to have got there hands on that other pill you were throwing all weekend

i must say i was very impressed with the form of young matthew chettleburgh from albury, a massive future ahead for this lad

to my ladies, we weren't that far off the mark, it was a pleasure to be able to help you all weekend and with a few minor changes you will be even more competitive next year

a special congratulation to alicia, on the MVP, to put in so much effort as sick as you were, was inspirational. thank god our little issue on friday night was resolved, it was probably worth 20-25 points

to my 2 captains, i couldn't have asked for more, both of you struggled for form all weekend, but just put in the hard yards shot after shot and carried on in such a positive manner, it was a true role model performance from both of you

As a suggestion i think that the idea would be for the men to bowl the first round (currently 11 games) at Albury and the women bowl the first round at Wodonga then for the second round (next 11 games) they swap centres - Men at Wodonga and women at Albury - this would enable a reasonable finishing time and neither centre is disadvantaged financially as they hold it twice this way in the 11 year cycle. (they hold it this way when it is both alubury and then wodongas turn) For one of the events Albury could organise the dinner/dance and Wodonga the other - That would make it 4 years out of every 11 where everyone bowls at the same time.

Like Woza said

thanks kevin for paying $20 of the fifty you owe me, and well done to travvy for winning me that money

I told kev and his "financial advisor" that he has to start saving now for next year :p

He might be able to cough up the other $30 he owes you too

Ash
What Trace was alluding to was to play one complete round in each facility. All bowlers would then get the same conditions.
Just some thoughts.

are you the designated speaker for the boss now big m;)

i'll be up on the weekend, we'll do tea on sunday night

cash converters might give him 30 for that trophy he was flashing around last night

although a smart person would say its priceless

It just got too much for some people.... :rofl:

Image001.jpg

Hard to summarize such a long weekend but it is amazing to think that after three exhaustive days of bowling the Men's result was not decided until the final frame of the last game. It still could have gone either way - doesn't get much closer than that!

A big congrats to Kev and the Shepparton men. You have been close a couple of times now and thoroughly deserved your win. Unfortunately that means someone else has to be disappointed and if it had gone the other way Sunraysia also would have been worthy winners.

Farky needn't feel too upset - the hardest game all weekend was the bye. In the Men's, the bye "won" 64 points and would have finished in 9th spot but in the women's the bye "won" 97pts - which was more points than all but the top 3 teams - not surprising considering the average women's score was 162 for the weekend.

Superb job by Shannon and Marie all weekend - thanks for your super efforts!

Another great gesture by David from OTB donating trophies and bowling balls for the MVP. I don't think he is given enough credit for his generosity :thumbup:

Many highlights, most of which have been mentioned by others - Robs gesture to donate his ball to the 15 yr old junior, "Half" Woza's 5-7-10. Hamma's first shot while still wearing his shoe covers, the story of why Mr Farky got called Big Mouth, Maries technically deficient microphone and the various techniques used to shake it back to life.

Great fun (except for the bowling part) see you all next year!!

Back
Top Bottom