Emerson Shield 2005

xpense said:
Gatsby,
Should we do the right thing and do the Ladies scores to:rolleyes:
Would that not be pollitically correct:p
Politically correct yes --- unfortunately as i don't have the ladies sheets at the moment it is not possible to do.

A similar incident happened with a womens team on the lane next to us not our actual opponents. She bowled the ball and got a strike prior to the lanes being turned on ready to score, she just rebowled the ball for an 8 spare I think. I really didn't get involved as it was not our match.

Mind you the guy was pretty microphone happy. On more than one occasion he interupted our bowling to announce something that could have waited for the lane change.

I am also happy with the size of the tournament having been involved in ccup where the men and women can not bowl together because only two centres have enough lanes and then there was the situation at Colac (no offence Gary) with the centre only have 10 lanes and requiring at least 12 to hold the men or women to bowl at once. It was changed to easter weekend and required to be bowled over 4 days, definitely not an ideal situation.

I just think if changes are going to be made then all aspects of the change is to be taken into account including what centres in the future will be holding the event and how many lanes they have available. As this if overlooked may cause headaches in the future.

Just food for thought,

Paige

that really should be a yes to the womens scores too Gary.

I'm sure everybody on this thread can put together their resources and get the womens scores for you!!

The official was in charge of the event and made an honest mistake. However he should have made sure that all lanes were turned on ready for play. The unfortunate thing about all this is that his scoring system had to be manually checked after every game by Sue from EFL and that caused some delays as well.I think that your team was hard done by as I saw several teams making their own score changes and nothing was said to them. This problem will differ from centre to centre and the officials running it. In the end the official was the official Tournament director on the day and Ray Hodge was there to handle any disputes if they occurred. As you can imagine the event was fairly heavy for the official as he knew that he had some scoring problems before any of the teams arrived on the Sat morning, and Sue from EFL tried to help him out and make sure that the event did not stall at any time on the weekend due to worng scores etc.

Of course your teams official Manager had the right to lodge a protest and then that would have had to be dealt with on the spot. This would have involved The official from Mentone and Ray Hodge (Pres Goldpin) and maybe Joe Tomasinski who is part of the Goldpin Tournament committee. However what results would have come from this,is anyone guess. But at least you would have had your answer there and then.
In hindsight that might have been the best way to go,because then the other teams would have had to re-bowl their frames again as well.

Maybe this is one of those things that should be discussed at the Managers meeting first thing Sat morning so that everyone is clear on the matter.:cool:

Woza said:
Also remember that the ladies top 2 teams also met in the last round at Mentone in Bendigo and Geelong.
And also this years CCup in Geelong -- final Women's match Geelong vs Sunraysia -- only to finish in a tie for first and then had to play each other again to decide a winner. (Geelong won 4-3 -- they won pinfall by 3 pins)

Purple_Tweety said:
that really should be a yes to the womens scores too Gary.
I'm sure everybody on this thread can put together their resources and get the womens scores for you!!
I should be able to get the scores from our women's team in the next week or so

Sydpies said:
The official was in charge of the event and made an honest mistake. However he should have made sure that all lanes were turned on ready for play. The unfortunate thing about all this is that his scoring system had to be manually checked after every game by Sue from EFL and that caused some delays as well.I think that your team was hard done by as I saw several teams making their own score changes and nothing was said to them. This problem will differ from centre to centre and the officials running it. In the end the official was the official Tournament director on the day and Ray Hodge was there to handle any disputes if they occurred. As you can imagine the event was fairly heavy for the official as he knew that he had some scoring problems before any of the teams arrived on the Sat morning, and Sue from EFL tried to help him out and make sure that the event did not stall at any time on the weekend due to worng scores etc.
Of course your teams official Manager had the right to lodge a protest and then that would have had to be dealt with on the spot. This would have involved The official from Mentone and Ray Hodge (Pres Goldpin) and maybe Joe Tomasinski who is part of the Goldpin Tournament committee. However what results would have come from this,is anyone guess. But at least you would have had your answer there and then.
In hindsight that might have been the best way to go,because then the other teams would have had to re-bowl their frames again as well.
Maybe this is one of those things that should be discussed at the Managers meeting first thing Sat morning so that everyone is clear on the matter.:cool:
I was making the complaint as Team Captain (we did not have a manager). I am not criticising the official who had a very stressful couple of days and did a great job. It was also not worth making an official dispute as it was only one frame and was not going to have much bearing on the final result (the game was 9th vs 10place). I am just trying to find out whether i was right or not - and what to do if it ever occurs again. This is a query about what happened and not a grudgeful vendetta against officialdom.
PS - I bet if he'd bowled a split instead we would have been overjoyed to be able to re-bowl.

Purple_Tweety said:
It was changed to easter weekend and required to be bowled over 4 days, definitely not an ideal situation.
We won that year -- i would say it was a perfect situation.... :rolleyes:

PS -- Can you eat "food for thought"??

What crap are you dribbling Bary Glack?!! lol

Hey from what I heard on those lanes you guys would have won anyway!!

Food for thought hmmm I guess it depends on what your thinking about as to whether you can eat it?!

Oh well, while we are on controversy, I noticed small wooden block's with Engineers Chalk glued to them laying around. They were supposedly being used to assist some with sliding on the sticky approaches.
Our team had minor sticking problems but items like this should not be used unless the are a approved product.

Not a good idea!

Rob

Gary, I understand that you did not have a manager(did not know till now) and usually with these events the Tournament Directors only talk to Managers and not the bowlers, which helps disfuse a lot of problems. Anyway you did what was right and got an answer that no one else adhered too. So it will be something that Goldpin will have to include into their rules to avoid future hiccups. Also please let me assure you at no stage did I think you were having a go at the official and my comments was only to make you aware (in case you did not know) how stressful Steve was all weekend with running the event and hoping that the scoring was 100% correct, (which it was not at the start on Sat) and that the machinery would hold up for the event. One major break down resulting in about a 30 minute delay (longest 7 pin spare shot in history for lance) and that was a great effort by Steve and his staff. So don't take it personal when people reply to your comments or questions,no one was suggesting that you were having a go at any official, we were just trying to answer with what happened on the day.

Anyway mate stay cool :p this years event was a great one and hopefully we will enjoy many more in years to come.:cool:

Gatsby said:
Jealously is a curse Woza ... lol
I wiil practice bowling left handed before I go there again so be warned. And it wont be for at least another 9 or so years:D
On a more positive note at least the pub is only a couple of steps away:D

Rules - Rules.

I don't believe anything is used to change (deface) the bowlers approach, unless I can't read rules properly. And gatsby, that first ball should have counted - as long as he made the first announcement...

As far as the tournament - the only problem with the 10 team format, is the lack of practice lanes for incoming bowlers - although everyone has the same problem - makes it difficult when you have to put in a lineup and have a warmup:( :(

Don't do the positional round - if you have a positional round at the end, you may as well bowl one round, and have a positional round to decide the winner. The bonus of the two rounds, is it allows team(s) to get a lead on all the others.

Woza said:
I wiil practice bowling left handed before I go there again so be warned. And it wont be for at least another 9 or so years:D
On a more positive note at least the pub is only a couple of steps away:D

Yes woza the pub was only a couple of steps away but you still didnt make it there cause your wife had you by the short and curlys

Vaughnn said:
Rules - Rules.
I don't believe anything is used to change (deface) the bowlers approach, unless I can't read rules properly.

Vaughnn, if you put a substance on your shoe sole and it can or may leave a residue on the approach, which eginineers chalk would, then this practice, (according to Rule 125,) is illegal.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom