What a guy!!

Not the right Forum for posting this under but it would be the flatest Country Cup that I have bowled in.
I think that the 7am starts and 1am finishes have somthing to do with it. Remember we have added to extra lane maintenances (which adds 1 1/4 hour) each day since Bendigo. Never used to oil after every squad. If they went back to one lot of lane maintenance the start could have been at least 8am

I think the oil every squad was great, id rather bowl for longer on decent conditions than oil and the start of the day and be bowling on utter crap by the time the 16th game for the day comes about.

I think the oil every squad was great, id rather bowl for longer on decent conditions than oil and the start of the day and be bowling on utter crap by the time the 16th game for the day comes about.

No they always oiled at lunchtime - after 8 games one year the ladies got the fresh oil and the other year it was the men. Bendigo was the first to oil after every squad

imho 8 games is still too long with out oil.

So you need to stack your teams? women for oily conditions.. men for bone dry?

Seems silly.

Back to the MVP, i think that since it has come in the winners have been most deserving.
I do how ever believe that the younger ones coming through need more encouragement than the seasoned campiagners ie balls.
Any product that you are able to give Dave would be much more appreciated by those coming up through the ranks rather than an established bowler.
If still wanting to provide a prize for MVP i could donate a watch or something to make it a bit easier. And give a ball to (even mid price) those coming up and showing the enthusiam for what is country cup. Encourage them and they will be back for years to come. A board would also be good to rule on who wins, I would reckon Rob, Jason, Kev, Andrew Craig would be a good start.
Any way my thoughts, but as i said i would be happy to help out.
Griffo!

I was really proud of my Dad when Dave made that announcement at presentations. Yes he'd just bought a new ball and he doesnt want praise.
But credit should be paid where credit is due.
In a sport that is currently declining in numbers, and we all know it, it is the little things that are going to keep it from ceasing to exist at all. From the small gesture of giving a free ball to a junior, that we all know and hope can become another great bowler Country Victoria can produce, Dad has opened the eyes of not only Matt, but all wittnesses and everyone we are all going to tell, that one person can make a difference.

imho 8 games is still too long with out oil. So you need to stack your teams? women for oily conditions.. men for bone dry? Seems silly.

You will not get a national tournament that will oil after 4 games. Not now, not ever. CCup, in the smaller centers, is the only tournament that I have ever bowled in this format. I think that a format change is in need here. My suggestion would be, based on this year:

>Ladies bowl 8 straight
>Lunch and Lane Maintenance
>Men bowl 8 straight

That cuts out 2 lots of oiling, saving approx. 2 hours.

I will agree I did think there was a lack of atmosphere overall. Some parts were great others not so great.
I will admit I didn't like the 7am starts, I felt it was too early. Last year I bowled at Sale and we didn't finish until 2.30am and it didn't feel that late, but getting up at 5am or so did feel way too early. Although I will admit that starting early on the Monday has merit with people having to travel long distances.
With the exception of Geelong and Morwell (who can hold the whole tournament during the day) every other centre has to have split blocks and it's just the way it is.

It wasnt the early starts and the late finishes, it was the mucking around in the middle of the day that killed the atmosphere.
The stopping and starting takes its tol on our bodies (even us young ones :p) in the form of lactic acid build ups, resulting in things like tight joints, swolen thumbs and fingers and fatigue. 4 games is only a warm up and then you have to stop and I dont know many country bowlers that know about recovery, and I'm pretty sure I dont know any that would have done it on the weekend.
Bowlers that are tried, sore and cant bowl the way they want, arent happy campers.
THAT is the REAL reason for the "dead atmosphere".

Anyhoo, just my 2cents worth.
Alicia

How about we do it on the 3 2 1 votes system per match. It works for the brownlow. Both managers of team decide between themselves. Just a idea. Habe it like a best and fairest.

Deano

I
My suggestion would be, based on this year:
>Ladies bowl 8 straight
>Men bowl 8 straight
Suggestion has merit
It wasnt the early starts and the late finishes, it was the mucking around in the middle of the day that killed the atmosphere.
The stopping and starting takes its tol on our bodies (even us young ones :p) in the form of lactic acid build ups, resulting in things like tight joints, swolen thumbs and fingers and fatigue. 4 games is only a warm up and then you have to stop and I dont know many country bowlers that know about recovery, and I'm pretty sure I dont know any that would have done it on the weekend.
Bowlers that are tried, sore and cant bowl the way they want, arent happy campers.
Alicia
In the old days pre oil every squad the men would turn up to watch the women bowl their last game and then the women would stay and watch the men start their first game and vice versa - now we have a situation where when a block is finished there is 45min lane maintenance - so if you do turn up to watch the last game before the start of your squad you are there about 1.5 - 2 hours before you bowl and alternatively if you have just finished bowling you have to wait 45min for the next squad to start. That is where alicia suggestion of 8 straight has merit - teams not bowling could come and support their other team (bring back the atmosphere) and still have plenty of time to prepare themselves for bowling
PS jager bombs are not a effective recovery method;)

imho 8 games is still too long with out oil.
So you need to stack your teams? women for oily conditions.. men for bone dry?
Seems silly.
You will be right next year men bowl first so that gives you 24 months to toughen up those little chicken wings that you flap around;) maybe even graduate to a 10lb ball;)

Suggestion has merit
In the old days pre oil every squad the men would turn up to watch the women bowl their last game and then the women would stay and watch the men start their first game and vice versa - now we have a situation where when a block is finished there is 45min lane maintenance - so if you do turn up to watch the last game before the start of your squad you are there about 1.5 - 2 hours before you bowl and alternatively if you have just finished bowling you have to wait 45min for the next squad to start. That is where alicia suggestion of 8 straight has merit - teams not bowling could come and support their other team (bring back the atmosphere) and still have plenty of time to prepare themselves for bowling
PS jager bombs are not a effective recovery method;)

EXACTLY!

And no jager bombs are not the ideal recovery..Would make you sleep really well but not necessarily have you wake up feeling very healthy!

Unseasonably hot too, made the weekend a little uncomfortable; quite unusual for Ballarat.
I like the idea of 8 straight, we have become a little spoilt re-oiling after every 4 and it would show up the depth of a team to be able to deal with the changing condition. I believe that games 3 and 4 of each block this year we were bowling on lanes that were in transition. Probably would have openned up a little during games 5 and 6 and then become a bit of a last man standing affair in games 7 and 8. Good fun:)

Graeme

]
You will not get a national tournament that will oil after 4 games. Not now, not ever. CCup, in the smaller centers, is the only tournament that I have ever bowled in this format. I think that a format change is in need here. My suggestion would be, based on this year:
>Ladies bowl 8 straight
>Men bowl 8 straight
Alicia[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Alicia.

Bowl our 8 games then support and relax. Then we will get our atmosphere back.

The break in the middle only makes us all more tired. With 2 spare players ( I really only agree that we need one) there is plenty of chance to rotate if needed, to ensure that we have the right players on the lanes at the right time.

Hopefully the guys making the decisions are reading this post.

I do like that idea Alicia, 8 straight games.

Although why have we lost atmosphere this year when the format of four and four has always been the format, with exception of the two big centres? Recovery, what's that? lol. Go the nanna nap!! ;)

Who's decision is it? Is the format set by the VCTBA or is it up to each individual association/centre on what time we start and how many games we bowl in each block?

And yet again we have diverted from the MVP......Sorry Dave. :)

Paige

Did you have a bad day;):)

The format definately needs help. Too many people do not like it in its present state.

To dissagree is fine. Eventually with much discussion, there will come the right answer.

David

He GUys

THis thread was started to congratulate and thank Rob on his sportsmanship,humility and integrity we seem to be pulling away from that theme,I feel another Country Cup Thread for this is needed so as not to rain on this threads intentions

I will put one up shortly

Cheerz
Kev

]
>Ladies bowl 8 straight
>Men bowl 8 straight
Alicia

I agree with you Alicia.
Bowl our 8 games then support and relax. Then we will get our atmosphere back.
The break in the middle only makes us all more tired. With 2 spare players ( I really only agree that we need one) there is plenty of chance to rotate if needed, to ensure that we have the right players on the lanes at the right time.
Hopefully the guys making the decisions are reading this post.

Guess i wont be bowling many then...

Back on track!

I think the idea of an encouragement award is a good one. A panel of three or four highly respected bowling people making the decision using a set of criteria agreed to by Dave. The prize of a ball would be better suited to this award. One prize - male or female.

As for the MVP awards, the idea of an alternative prize (such as a watch, etc.) would probably be better suited to these awards. First prize for male and first prize for female with second and third trophy in each.

(ps - Go Mr.Bubbles!);)

cheers

Roy

Well! I go home for the weekend (no internet) and come back to an abundance of PM's and posts.

This thread was to posted to give recognition to a great bloke who made a great gesture.

Kev is right, a new thread for CCup ideas is needed - go Kev.

On the MVP situation, thanks to the support of a couple of people and PM's/ideas from many, we have a new framework to look into - I'll keep everyone posted.
I think this could turn into something pretty special. Rob, you've started something!

Griffo - thanks heaps mate, I'll be in Warrnambool for a weekend soon - talk to Jase or Eddy and we'll organise to catch up and talk it through - but thanks for the offer so far.

Just goes to show - the CCup fire is alive and well in many hearts and minds.
If Ballarat seemed a little flat (no disrespect to Ballarat, Staff or Bowlers), then it looks like quite a few people want that situation fixed next year.

My 2c worth while I'm here - 8 games ladies - lane maintenance - 8 games men = solution.
Provided the conidtions are monitored, you could have trash in 3 games in some centres!
And before people say 'awww, its too long' - that's why you have subs!

Cheers
David
aka Mr Bubbles - thanks Roy. :p

[/QUOTE]Hopefully the guys making the decisions are reading this post.[/QUOTE]

Farky
Wouldnt it be up to each association to put forward ideas for discussion?
I wouldn't expect a board to just go off without a motion or some sort of communication from any of it's members on a topic like this.

Of course I could be wrong! :(

David

I would like to propose that any 'Encouragement award' be in memory/recognition of Judy Cloak as she was big on encouraging every one else when things were not going their way. What do others think of this idea?

Back
Top Bottom