Tornament Bowling in Qld

Ducati 851 said:
Great News everyone....i have one response back so far....from Columbia 300...due to them owning Track Bowling Inc... and they said they are more than willing to sponser another tournament.
and any proposal they are willing to go over..
Im new to this kind of thing...and im just trying to get something done about it
any ideas or proposals....feel free...
Shaz

Great news Shaz. Will be in touch.

On behalf of Track bowling in America i am happy to let you know that there will be some sponsorship coming from Track in WHAT amounts and material i yet dont know but that is a good start. If you wish to discuss any tournemant sponsorship please call me on my mobile 0415190433 and i will be happy to discuss the future of sponsorship from Track in this country.

On another note just getting back to why are tournemants going well in North Queensland and not as well in other places you only need to ask the guys that have travelled up here. Brando have travelled up here for years and if you ask here why he comes he will tell you its not because of the bowling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Guys i hate to tell you but if your hospitality is not a two way street with the centre then they would rather have social bowlers as they dont winge and pay more.
When you bowl up here its a fun atmosphere we throw the rule book out the door and we have fun we dont worry about crap like give way two lanes and is he allowed to drink during skins, we have calcuttas that get the crowd involved, we treat everyone EQUALLY, and we dont care what the pattern out on the lane is because we usually that drunk it doesnt matter (lol).
The other most important thing that is why our tournemants are still some of the best in the country is because most centres the bowlers are the ones who run the tournemants. Yes thats right the bowlers take a step up and help run the tournmant instead of sitting back abusing staff and abusing tournemant directors get off your buts and offer to do something like get sponsorship or offer to run the calcutta or work behind the bar. There is an endless amount of things that you can help with if you really want to get tournemants back to being as good as they were.

This is only my opionion but if you think you need to get on this TENPIN BOWLING FORUM and tell me how wrong i am then please do.

Oh and by the way MARY FLOWER is your answer take a leaf out of her book.

Sam Nucifora Jnr
Trackstar bowling Products

Spot on Sam, the best tournament ive bowled is Mackay open, everyone was really friendly (telling me about my fouls, shame on me) but the skins, the calcutta and the open was lots of fun to bowl in! Im looking at coming up a lot more next year, Junior nq, mackay, adult nq, cause if they are anything like thisyears mackay open, ill love every minute of it.

Hamish

brown beach boy said:
When you bowl up here its a fun atmosphere we throw the rule book out the door and we have fun we dont worry about crap like give way two lanes

This is a bit off track in a way (no pun intended of course ;) ), but I believe this whole "giving way two lanes" should go. You bowl league and only give way one lane either side, and still manage to concentrate and throw telephone numbers, why can't you do it in a tournament without giving way two lanes? All it does is slow down tournaments so they finish rediculously late and overtime. They've got every other rule for tardy play, why is this different?

totally agree with you tim. i cant remember how many run ins ive had with people because i dont give away to two lanes but i still have the common courtesy to give way to the lane either side of me. the two lane rule is ridiculous i feel

I think there is another factor that makes NQ tournaments attractive to more bowlers, and that is the recent innovation of offering reduced price entry to the lower average bowlers..
I know theres very little chance of any of this grade of bowler winning, but its an ideal opportunity to gauge where you sit in the grand scheme of things.
The opportunity to test your skills againt those of your peers doesnt come along very often, and even if theres no prize at the end, the feeling of satisfaction at bettering oneself is great.
As Sam says, a tournament run by bowlers with bowlers in mind has to have positives for our sport...Lets see more of it.....
Den

I've been bowling for a while and the only place I encountered any more than a one lane give way was on the PBA tour, it's a rule and you get fined for "double jumping".

The two lane thing is what some people like to have and I am one of them. Having said that I have never talked ill of anyone for jumping up on me, if I want two lanes then I will wait until it's convenient to do so. I certainly don't expect anyone to put themselves out for me. If I want two lanes I'll simply wait... I just prefer it.

I will definitely be trying out Sam's hospitality next year I simply didn't feel ready this year and after meeting the young man on the weekend I am really looking forward to it. I'd pay the deposit now .... got any dates and I'll keep my eye out for airfares.

The Brisbane Cup needs to rise again to be a major event and with support it can. It would be great to see Ken Sheehans name continued as he kept it alive as best he could. What would be a good format? I have my ideas but what does everyone want to bowl in...

I like 12 games qualifying with two squads Saturday, cut to top 36 and bowl 6games, cut to to top 18, then three way matchplay. Oh, and pinfall carries all the way. Cut to top four pinfall drops round robin plus bonus to determine the winner.

Lets put our heads together and get something started.

Thank You everyone for your responses

I have something in the woodworks that will change tournaments forever. I have 2 companies willing to sponser and waiting on the 2 big ones left...

If thing take off...look forward to a special event... with a prize fund that makes SPC look like a local tournament

I will keep everyone posted

twenban said:
The Brisbane Cup needs to rise again to be a major event and with support it can. It would be great to see Ken Sheehans name continued as he kept it alive as best he could. What would be a good format? I have my ideas but what does everyone want to bowl in...
I like 12 games qualifying with two squads Saturday, cut to top 36 and bowl 6games, cut to to top 18, then three way matchplay. Oh, and pinfall carries all the way. Cut to top four pinfall drops round robin plus bonus to determine the winner.
Lets put our heads together and get something started.

Thats a great idea Terry. Something like the Koolfoam is what we need.
Id like to hear from some sponsors, to see what they need to actually commit to a tornament, just some ideas so we could steer in the right direction.

www.lane1bowling.com

But what I dont understand, is that they had the QLD Cup up here, and for the last few years in a row, the locals didnt bowl in it !!

Perhaps address why the locals didnt bowl then the tournament will rise again ..

graham said:
But what I dont understand, is that they had the QLD Cup up here, and for the last few years in a row, the locals didnt bowl in it !!

Perhaps address why the locals didnt bowl then the tournament will rise again ..

Might have had something to do with the exhorbitant entry fee ... I think it was $275 or something? In the end, the bowlers are paying the prize fund anyway...

Doesn't really encourage the people like myself (180avg) to have a go ... thats a fair charge for 'experience'.

At $200 entry fee, to pay the TBA standard ranked tournament prize fund, without sponsors, you would need about 88 players. Throw in a $4k sponsor, that number comes down to about 60 odd. I'm not sure how many bowlers we would get, but I wonder if anyone can tell me how many the K&K got last year?

Spanner.

The Spanner said:
I'm not sure how many bowlers we would get, but I wonder if anyone can tell me how many the K&K got last year?
Spanner.

Spanner the answer to your question i think is

91 MEN
40 WOMAN

The lack of support for the QLD Cup i thought was pretty obvious....despite the big guys....Hampson Bottomly Pearson Wenban and all the rest

Who is gonna pay 250 dollars to win 2500

Its just stupid...

If i pay 250 and think ive got a chance.....which is a few years away for myself....i would want some heaps better prize fund

The lack of support for the QLD Cup i thought was pretty obvious....despite the big guys....Hampson Bottomly Pearson Wenban and all the rest

Who is gonna pay 250 dollars to win 2500

Its just stupid...

If i pay 250 and think ive got a chance.....which is a few years away for myself....i would want some heaps better prize fund

What this comes down to I think is we need a tournament which isnt made to make money for the corporations ...give it to the bowlers

Ducati 851 said:

Your on drugs Ducati

I am a lifetime away from being named in that group of guys you have just mentioned.

Just remember at the end of the day if the bowls don’t make any money then where would we hold the tournaments in future years? Shopping centre car parks!:rolleyes:

i beleive that a bowling alley should in a tournement only cover there costof linage.. they will make money off people buying food and drinks, nd if they are smart other ideas.

but they should give tournaments a non profit cost. therefre max amount of money goes towards the bowlers and making the tournament bigger and better.

now before any one start jumping down say that centres have to make money and that in 10 years time we will be bowling in the car park. Because of 1 tourney that runs for say 2 maybe 3 days a bowling alley aint going to go broke.. they still have social bowlers bowling in the centre.. on the days before and after the tourney...

just because upto 3 days are blocked from social bowlers and the centre on linage is only just covering there cost does not meant the centre will go broke.. Why does centres not sponsor a tourney.. not in monetary value but in linage value.. instead of handing over $1000 put that money towards the linage and make it alot cheaper..

People instead of jumping to conclusions saying you can't do that or that won't work why don't you go out and figure out ways to make them work..

think of the solution not the problem.. the problem is they won't make money or tourney aren't working.. instead of winging over that try to make it so they work what can be done to make it happen and for centres to be happy. Shannon/ducati is a perfect example.. keep it going man i know if you need anyhelp i will be there for you.

just my 2 cents worth

Chucky,

I'm not going to jump down your throat. I'm just going to ask you what makes you think that any business owner not just a bowling center should have to give away 3 days trade just so that you or others can benefit from it.

Gee let me think for a minute, :rolleyes: do this once a month across Brisbane for example and who wins? The bowlers of course, but what are the bowlers then doing for those centers/sponsors so to speak. Do you then go bowl league now in those centers because they do this for you? Do you then think well hey they did this for us we might just go practice there? You may say yes but I am sure if you ask centre managers/owners they will say No it doesn’t happen that way. They get forgotten until the next time you want a tournament run at cost.

They also have a right to be in business and yes they may not go broke in 3 days but hey there running costs for the center over those three days don’t get reduced they still have staff, maintenece, phone bills, rent, electricity to pay but i am sure if i do the sums all the food they sell in the cafe will cover that.

I run a business also and i assure you i have no intensions of running my business at cost for 3 days just so that a one off customer can get his car serviced/repaired once a year with me.

The answer to running tournaments weather it be in Brisbane or Australia we need to set a separate committee to run these events. Someone/committee who can negotiate costs of games and negotiate sponsors weather it be minor or major it all helps. I think this is the first stepping stone to get tournaments back to where they were. I mean ask Mary Flower how much time she puts in behind the scenes just to get the good game rates, sponsors and numbers to her event. Mary is always around somewhere handing out flyers all the time TO THE BOWLERS, and it the in your face approach that allows her to promote her circuit and make it a success and this is the path we need to follow to get tournament bowling back to where it was or could be.

Just my 10 cents worth!

At the old Koolfoam they had the Pro Am on the Friday night which was fantastic. It was booked out weeks before the event and was a fun night for all the local bowlers to get to play with the good guys. People would turn up with Eskies and wine casks, it was like having picnics in the bowl. It was a lot of fun and gave something back.

Sam has the right idea about hospitality and the fun side. It doesn't have to be the biggest prize fund but needs a foundation to grow on, a good solid event is what needs to be introduced called the Brisbane Cup. Then after the event a separate step ladder called the Ken Sheehan Challenge, he would like that ...

The thing that many people fail to realise is that AMF put sponsorship money into the events that equalled if not exceeded the total game revenue taken by the centre over the course of the weekend. So your statement that AMF should wear the cost of the games is a non argument - it was already happening!! Maybe they should put an extra $5000 or $6000 into the prizefund as well, just to keep the bowlers happy ??

Interesting subject.

Graham well said!!!

I cant imagine how many of you think you know how much AMF sponsors Tournaments.
How many of you REALLY know how much AMF sponsors tournaments - probably no one.

Graham is correct we sponsored the Qld Cup in excess of what was charged.
A correct business decision maybe not.
And to support Jason why would we continue to run our business or in his case run his business on that logic. "Bowling Centres and Automotive Shops" would be a thing of the past.

Why do we charge $250 for a $2500 return to the winner. To give the next 30place getters a return on their investment.

I would be happy to offer $10000 as first prize. But then pay no one else.
It may then become a 4/6/8 way shootout. Belmonte Frilingos Qualischefski Walsh Trotter Lovell Wenban Bottomley would be probably the only entrants.

I applaud people like Mary Flower and in the past bodies like the ATBA Vic and ATBA SA who did it all for nothing.
Other than Mary where are they now.

I would be happy to entertain a 'workshop' of interested people who wish to do something about Tournament Bowling in Qld. but not be dragged through the Business principals of AMF or any other business.

Am happy to organise a date and time.

Tony Goodwin

Back
Top Bottom