should shield become u/23

Johnny,

I personally dont think shield should become an under 23 tourn. Only because the juniors (under 18's) always have "Shield" as something to look forward to, and I think some of the younger juniors trying to come up into the shield teams would get disheartened if they had to turn up to rolloffs trying out against the "older" youth bowlers. For example...imagine some of the younger juniors in coming up against a Paul Longayroux or Brando, Jarrod or Belmo....just to name a few...

I think juniors need something to look forward to, and once they come out of juniors they have Youth / Rachuig...

Well thats my opinion!

i have been told there might be an u/23 shield team depending on the numbers if they can get enough from each state it will go ahead wich is a good idea becuase it is a big step from u/18 to adults.Have anyone from other states heard any thing about it im intrested

Michelle
I agree with you
Shield should stay for the under 18
otherwise the younger kids would get disenchanted and give up bowling and we dont want that to happen.

Maybe they could introduce a junior Rachuig for the 18 to 25s instead of the Walter De Veer teams

God No

Why change tradition why change a great thing, and why let the up and coming juniors get trampled because the youth bowlers. Yes the scores would be higher, but you would not have alot of juniors getting there first ever sheild experience because of the older established bowlers

Should shield become under 23s ^$&@ NO!

Shelley, I totally agree with you. If something of the such is going to be introduced it should be a Youth Nationals that incorporates a Youth Shield like tournament.

Yes I have heard of this plan along the gossip channels.

Just my opinion anyway

Kel

i think it should go to under 23

reason 1, juniors/youth from 16-23 have so many changes in their lives during this period.

job, moving home, university, licence, vote and many other things.

with so much to concentrate and adjust to, i feel this is the reason to why so many juniors don't make the transistion into seniors like they should.

and juniors who are competing against better youth players will only up the bar in what juniors are trying to achieve, plus for the weaker states it would give them a chance to also strengthen their ranks by being able to keep a bit more quality within their setup.

I do not agree that President Shiel should go Under 23's.

I am a great supporter of Under 23 tournaments in Australia, but there are pros and cons as to increasing the age limit of a great teams tournament by 5 years.

The talk of a Under 23 style president shield type tournament is correct. Peter Coburn from the Victorian TBA office might be able to assist with some information regarding this. I for one would love to see something like this initiated, as it would bridge the gap that we find between President Shield and Rachuig.

Why shouldnt president shield go to under 23's? Let me explain. At the moment, some states struggle to get a good turn out for president shield as it is. Imagine Joe Bloggs, promising 15 year old bowler with a 180 average, and can possibly bowl 200 when he gets going, enters a president shield. Then he gets told its now going to be an under 23 tournament, and he hears a rumour that 5 guys that hold 200 averages in league have decided to try out as well. Does this mean that Joe should try out for the experience? Or should he not bother and wait until he gets better?

Most people have enough guts and determination to go and get involved and gather some experience. Hell, thats how I have learnt, I was never a good junior. Why should we put doubt into the minds of people that are easily influenced by the fact of whether they think they can possibly make their state team or not.

The best situation would be to create an Under 23's style president shield tournament. This would give some sort of incentive for juniors getting into the older age bracket in still participating in a state teams tournament. Unfortunately, we hear that rachuig entries are down in most states, so this may cure this issue by giving people the opportunity to continue bowling in these team tournaments, and continue the tradition of rachuig.

I personally don't think it would be a good idea to make shield u23. In a bowlers life there are stages to go through:
1: learning to bowl
2: joining a league to improve your bowling
3: playing championships for tournament experience
4: striving to make the shield team
5: bowling Nationals as a shield player(possibly trying to make the all stars)
6: bowling youth tournaments and trying to make the youth team
7: becoming an adult bowler and making the National team

All these things are a natural progression and I don't think that too many youth bowlers would really like to take a step back to shield.Last years Junior Champs. will show you that, not many youth bowlers even turned up to bowl.

UNLESS you want central to win every year for the next 5 years, leave it at 18's
For the other states sake,
I beg you hahaha

Its only so true...

but for real Sheild is something JNRS look forward to, its the only time of the year where they can ALL have a wicked time

so leave us YOUTHS out for now

laaaaaaater

I'm with Belmo, let the under 18's enjoy Shield.

As to a youth tournament similar to Shield, would there be the numbers to support anything like that? I know down here we have struggled to send a full team away in female divisions of both Rachuig and Shield on occasions. We simply wouldn't have the bowlers to make up teams for all three tournaments and I would imagine NT would be in the same boat.

No way should shield become Under 23s.

My personal experience is that I was bowling Open masters since I was 10 and you start at last every event then you start moving up into the middle region where you stay for awhile and eventually you will be up the top, for the win to come for me it took 5 years and in that time I became frustrated and upset at getting nowhere which i believe is a reason why kids lose interest after awhile, Imagine if it would take another five years to have got anywhere? - There is no way I'd have bothered!

However, the transition from Juniors to Adults is huge, where you again find yourself at the bottom trying to work your way up which would be the way in any case (of course) but this is TOO huge and again where many people lose interest especially when they can just think back a few years and remember the struggle.
The thoughts are - who could be bothered going through that again ESPECIALLY these days when I have to pay for it myself!!

I think the idea of getting a Youth division 18-23s or otherwise would be very beneficial to keeping people in the sport. Just consider all the people you saw in Juniors in their last year thinking wow, they're gonna be great one day and next thing you hear they've put their gear away for good!! Its such a shame, it shouldn't happen that way thats why I think another division is a great idea, double thumbs up from me
icon_smile.gif

Well, Yeh i think I'm done now, I think u got more than you asked for with this topic - These are just my own opinions based on my own experiences - Thanks for reading

Jessika

PS. I just read your post Kace and you're pretty much right, there aren't that many people in Tas or NT but I think a few who've quit may stay with a Youth Division as an incentive!! And drafting is always a popular option..
icon_cool.gif

i agree with nearly everyone else
please dont make it under 23's

as it has been said it will make it so much harder for us juniors to make these teams

there are a fair few juniors who can beat some youths but for the rest of us its hard!

i did hear a rumour that there was going to be a seperate tourney at nationals for the youths
just like sheild except for the older kids
im not sure if its true or not but ya know

n e ways
cheers
luv shellby
xoxoxoxo
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_razz.gif

Hey Jekk... yeah I know we could always draft people in if there was a need for it but if you look at last year's Tasmanian women's Rachuig team, 5 out of the 7 would be eligible for a similar under 23's tournament. Then add yourself and a couple of others for this year, we would be fielding the same team just about for both tournaments.
I know there is a gap in some States between Shield and Rachuig and this tournament would go along way to helping bridge that, but the weaker States, and not just Tasmania, would have problems. Just a thought.

I think they should leave it as u/18's but have a youth section as well to cater for those who are between 19-23.

There is a very big rumor circulating that an under 23 shield will be held in December of this year if there are numbers.
Apparently it will be FIQ format (singles, doubles, teams)
I suggest we all support this idea so us VIC's just out of shield can give Central a nice little ASS KICKIN!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

As I said Kace I am speaking from my own experiences and I have been in both a state booming with bowlers and tas who are struggling for bowlers, fair enough we'd have trouble filling teams down here but NSW wouldn't have think twice before having a youth team.... OK so it wouldn't suit Tassie but for most of the rest of the states a youth division would be a great idea!!!

BELMO: I believe u r wrong about central winning it for the next few years. Victoria has some really good bowlers at the moment that would give u a run for ur money.

however i do agree that it should remain under 18's.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

oh dear, you guys have no idea
Little, warner, lean, frazi, leong,Kyriacou .....and myslef

Please dont argue

laaaaaaaaaaaaater

Back
Top Bottom