National Youth Teams Challenge 07

Why not make it that Juniors can only bowl junior tournaments, youth can only bowl youth, and the same for adults? It seems a bit unfair that juniors can go for 3 state teams, youth can go for two, while adult only have the one state side to go for.
To me, this is exactly like youth bowlers bowling rachuig

Stuart Little said:
Why not make it that Juniors can only bowl junior tournaments, youth can only bowl youth, and the same for adults? It seems a bit unfair that juniors can go for 3 state teams, youth can go for two, while adult only have the one state side to go for.
To me, this is exactly like youth bowlers bowling rachuig

Juniors can only go for 2 president shield and youth challenge can't go for Rachuig unless they are 18 before the first day of Rachuig. Says that in the rules.

Chris

I think its a stupid rule,it was made for YOUTH ONLY! Sure the juniors think its a great idea,but what about us 18-23 bowlers? shouldnt we get a say in it? You's have taken away the only tournament that we had left for youth only bowlers.....and you's say that u's are trying to improve bowling and to keep us enjoying bowling pfft!

Im just thinking, at the first year of the Youth Challenge, a Youth Advisery Committee was put together, presumably to be asked about things that would affect the youth bowlers in this country. Im a member of that committee, should we not have been asked what we thought of the idea???

Well honestly i am now too old to bowl it in 07, but i personally think that it is wrong... why should we open up the age bracket on it... it is designed for youth bowlers. I have an idea, how about they open up presidents shield to allow the same age group to enter that would be fair, and while you are at it, open up all junior tourneys to youth bowlers too, and give them special incentive for bowling it too, like top 4 who dont cut get $100 back.. I can see alot of juniors that will not like what i am saying, but its what i feel.. personally if they make it open to under 18, i would like to see the youth challenge open to 25 or 27 y/o, not 23.

sallylicious said:
You's have taken away the only tournament that we had left for youth only bowlers.....and you's say that u's are trying to improve bowling and to keep us enjoying bowling pfft!

With the costs of travelling to tournaments such as Presidents Shield and Youth Teams Challenge being so high it makes me wonder if some juniors who could make both teams won't be able to travel with both teams....
Which tournament would juniors prefer to go in? Would they rather bowl with fellow juniors or test themselves against the youth bowlers? There aren't a lot of people who can afford that extra $1000 a year to travel to another tournament.
There is also the risk of losing youth bowlers from the tournament circuit because after losing the chance to represent their state they lose the desire to bowl tournaments at all. The above quote says it all...

My opinion is that ONLY juniors(U18's) should be allowed to bowl in Presidents Shield, ONLY youth(18-23) should be able to bowl in Youth Teams challenge and ONLY adults(Over23) should be allowed to bowl in Rachuig.

Porto

some juniors are known to be better bowlers than some of the youth bowlers, so by allowing the juniors to bowl in youth tournaments, that means that some of the lower average youth bowlers wont get a chance at all!! i dont think it's fair to these bowlers!

chloe...(not graham!)

yes juniors shouldnt be able to bowl National youth Team challenge because it is for youth bowlers. but on the youth tournament issue. Juniors bowl in youth tournaments to gain experience to make them better bowlers when they r to old to be a junior. Also for people saying youth bowlers should be able to bowl in junior tournaments there isnt a lot of junior tournaments around anyway.

Say 1 junior or more do get in the team,we go to clubs and pubs for dinner or what not,We have a few drinks and maybe a play on the pokies...so who's gonna police them and make sure they don't drink? I'm sure the managers and coaches don't wanna miss out on all the fun with the over 18's cause they have to look after juniors that shouldn't even be in the team in the first place.

This is an interesting topic. I firstly started with the impression that most youth bowlers have that it should only be for youth bowlers. After talking to my coach last night he actually brought up some very valid points and i can totally see where he is coming from.

If you look at other sports.... I'll use Basketball for my example.... they do not have this whole segregation of ages. If a 15 yr old was that good of a player that he was able to play in say under 18's or the adult division they wouldn't be stopping him from playing. The team would probably welcome the talent. Especially if it meant they had a better chance at winning.

Why is it that we as bowlers can't look at the situation in the same way?

I know that there is a similar situation going on at the moment with a centre's representative side. Some of the Ladies in the adults team are not overly impressed that the youth are able to bowl in both the youth and the adult team. The youth's view is of course 'if we have the ability to play at a higher level than the adults why shouldn't we be included in the team?'
It's the same situation here. If there are juniors that are talented enough to be able to compete at a youth level and really challenge some of the youth's why shouldn't they be included?

I can see what people are saying about the whole meals and changing the aspect of the tournament and the week away but isn't the main reason you are going away to compete for your state? Isn't the friendships that you build and the other activities just a bonus?

"There is also the risk of losing youth bowlers from the tournament circuit because after losing the chance to represent their state they lose the desire to bowl tournaments at all." - Donkey

This shouldn't hinder the sport. If you were actually wanting to represent your state shouldn't a junior making the team encourage you to improve your game so that you can represent your state rather than having a junior do it for you?

I apoligise now if this has offended anyone in anyway. I am just expressing my point of view and giving everyone some points to really think about.

Yep, very true. Although I used to think that it should be like this, I'm of the opinion that if there is a segregation, then it should be stuck to. It is useless setting up categories like this and then changing the rules.

Just my opinion.

donkey said:
With the costs of travelling to tournaments such as Presidents Shield and Youth Teams Challenge being so high it makes me wonder if some juniors who could make both teams won't be able to travel with both teams....
Which tournament would juniors prefer to go in? Would they rather bowl with fellow juniors or test themselves against the youth bowlers? There aren't a lot of people who can afford that extra $1000 a year to travel to another tournament.
There is also the risk of losing youth bowlers from the tournament circuit because after losing the chance to represent their state they lose the desire to bowl tournaments at all. The above quote says it all...
My opinion is that ONLY juniors(U18's) should be allowed to bowl in Presidents Shield, ONLY youth(18-23) should be able to bowl in Youth Teams challenge and ONLY adults(Over23) should be allowed to bowl in Rachuig.
Porto

Totally 100% with you on this Porto...

Only Adults over 23 able to bowl Rachuig...........

So our 2006 Rachuig Team, would have Ian Jones? and?

Maybe Juniors and Youth should have age restrictions, but as for Rachuig? If your good enough to make the team I dont care if your 11 or 70......

Or should we tell all Rachuig bowlers elibible for ATBSO they cant bowl Rachuig while we at it?? :p

Clint

oh my god, this is amazing. Everyone is saying the same thing over and over again! its quite funny. Well i agree with everyones points, it very well could be unfair, but let me present a different point of view. Just think about school sport (i know this doesnt sound interesting but bare with me) there are different aged teams. When a good player in grade 9 is better than a player in grade 11, the grade 9 player generally gets selected for the higher team, even though there are certain age teams. Now converting this to a bowling point of view, the reason that junior bowlers are allowed to try out for a youth team is simple, THEY ARE YOUNGER so there is less of a chance of them being better (if u know what i mean). Now some people are saying that if this is allowed then why not let youth bowlers in president shield. Well heres another simple explanation, THEY ARE OLDER meaning they may have more experience and could be better bowlers. It is the same in every sport. If the rule is there, leave it. Trust me, im not going to try out for a youth team (im 17) until im 18 or older, but i was just attempting to put a different point of view up for everyone to think about.
thanks, Michelle

just imagin if you were the only person in the team under 18. we have just had dinner and everyone else is wanting to go into the pokies for a hour or so to have a bit of fun!! would you really want to be there sitting by yourself (which of course you are not allowed to becuse you are a child still and must have an adult in your company) or would you make everyone feel guilty about you not being able to and people getting angry because they have to go back to the hotel and cant have the fun they want!!
im not sayin that this is goin to happen but it could!!

people are forgetting that youth was brought in so that we didnt loose this age group taking a big step from juniors to adults! by allowing a tournie for just this age group we are keeping some of these bowlers in the sport that may have left otherwise!!
the majority of tournies around now are open to bowlers up to the age of 23 allowing both juniors and youth bowlers to bowl so there is plenty of things the juniors can bowl in to get the experience and chance to bowl against the 18-23 year old bowlers so i dont see what the big deal is having a tournie open to JUST 18-23 year olds!
the juniors do get older and will get the chance to bowl in the youth teams challenge eventually and i dont know why they have to rush into doing it now they get to bowl against youth bowlers in other tournies

i was lucky enough turining 18 at the beggining of my final year of juniors and was able to drive myself to bowling and go out in my own time but at shield it was a complete different thing!! i had to sign paper work and wasnt allowed to drink because i was 18 but classed as a junior when bowlin and this was fair enough becuse there were underage people in the team and i knew i was bowlin in a junior tournie but by now being a youth bowler we are able to go out and drink or go out after the dinner on the final night but what is it goin to be like if we have underage people in the team?? its goin to be like were back in juniors again and i know that we are there to represent our state but the fun that we can have being 18 is a lot different to the fun and things a 15 year old can do! itll be so much harder to look after everyone and work out where to go for dinner and who can do this and who cant!! im not sayin we all get drunk everynite because we dont but we can all have a couple of drinks

if people are going to say that its not fair that youth have their own and can bowl adults and juniors only bowl juniors then why dont we just make it 1 team a year that is open to adults and juniors and youth even seniors!! im sure they would change their minds then because its just a stupid idea! and i dont think anyone would change this
if juniors are good enough to bowl against youth then bowl in the tournies throughout the year this is why we have these tournies but youth was designed for youth only and as alot of people have been saying this is the way it should stay!!

im also with toni and jas why werent the youth bowlers asked what we wanted?? its not as if we couldnt get the teams ok tazzie didnt have one but even with juniors being able to bowl i dont think they would bowl both anyway

This is how it should be:

President's Shield - Ages <18

Youth - 18-23

Rachiug - 18 and over.

Rachiug is the pinnacle of team bowling in Australia, therefore with it being an adult tournament I believe it should stay open to the youth.

The youth tournament is a youth tournament, designed for the transition between juniors and Rachiug.

It should be left that way. It was becoming more successful by the year, why change it? I mean in 2003 when I first rolled off there were like 9 boys. Last year there were heaps, more than 20.

Don't change what works with teams, or ultimately it screws things up.

Back
Top Bottom