Bowling Idol?

Amleto monacelli used to be someone i loved watching when younger, huge backswing and late timing with his shoulder leading forward in his delivery, so much leverage.

Hello to our US contributor. Amletto was a great bowler, but he was pretty clueless if someone wasn't sitting behind him telling him which ball to use and where to throw it. Lots of talent, No bowling sense. Same deal with "Mr 900" Jeremy Sonnenfeld.

I guess my idea of an idol were people that had the whole package. Awesome ability, and the mind and know how to use it. Parker Bohn III is another one that springs to mind there.

Walter Ray is obviously a fantastic bowler, but I never enjoyed watching him bowl. In the same vein locally George F and Paul T are clearly accurate, able to repeat shots and have a winning attitude but in my opinion, neither of them would be dominant without todays bowling equipment, and both of them are horrible to watch. I don't mean any offence by that, you're just not my idea of what bowling is about. Let me watch Walshy, Belmo, Loader and the like anyday.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
Jan

Hello to our US contributor. Amletto was a great bowler, but he was pretty clueless if someone wasn't sitting behind him telling him which ball to use and where to throw it. Lots of talent, No bowling sense. Same deal with "Mr 900" Jeremy Sonnenfeld.
I guess my idea of an idol were people that had the whole package. Awesome ability, and the mind and know how to use it. Parker Bohn III is another one that springs to mind there.
Walter Ray is obviously a fantastic bowler, but I never enjoyed watching him bowl. In the same vein locally George F and Paul T are clearly accurate, able to repeat shots and have a winning attitude but in my opinion, neither of them would be dominant without todays bowling equipment, and both of them are horrible to watch. I don't mean any offence by that, you're just not my idea of what bowling is about. Let me watch Walshy, Belmo, Loader and the like anyday.
Cheers and Merry Christmas.
Jan
You obviously haven't seen Trotts bowl Rachuig :D

You obviously haven't seen Trotts bowl Rachuig :D

Actually I have. I was bowling against him when he ripped his shirt off down in Tassie. (And just for the record, he should never do that again He might frighten the children) :)
Seriously though, I didn't say he didn't have a passion for it, I just said that I find him horrible to watch. I've been paired up next to him in a few Tournaments as well and watching him bowl and score really makes me wonder why I even bother trying anymore. Not to mention that he is one of the slowest guys around. Don't even get me started on the whole giving way to 2 or more lanes either side before they even step up on the approach. That's a whole new subject right there. Maybe I'll start a thread on that one! :)

Jan

in Pros Walter Ray i was lucky enough to get my hands on some VHS of PBA tournaments in the mid nightys when he was winning everything it makes it look way too easy.

In Australia since i was a kid its always been Carl Bottomley so much power yet his shot looks so smooth

im not really saying i have a bowling idol, though there alot of fantastic bowlers out there, but the one name i am surprised that somebody hasnt said is Cara Honeycurch, she is a bowler that has done pretty much everything that you can do in bowling, plus she also will act in away of respect to everyone in bowling, not saying she is my idol, but i will say her as somebody whos game i would love to have...

Well, I was just about to say my idol would've been Cara Honeychurch. Even though she's a lefty (I'm a righty), she is one person that I can think of who has made it over here and international successfully and has a remarkable technique, attitude and all round persona that most people from all ages will look up to. After all she has "2 cents worth" in 'What's the Score'. Clearly talented and has worked really hard to get to where she is now. Well done Cara.

Great topic! :)

Danni

My bowling idols would have to be Andrew Frawley and Carl Bottomley. Growing up i used to love watching those guys bowl. Pro Bowler would have to be Norm Duke. That guy is a legend

If there was just one bowler I'd have to pick I'd say hands down that the "Frawls" Andrew Frawley is mine. He taught me so much about the game. One of the many people who got me into the game. Really down to earth, friendly, talented (especially when he can muti-task and bowl normally while he's talking on the phone or drill a ball and talk on the phone). Just about every memory is with him holding a phone to his ear :s Haha, nah.

Bubye

Rowey :p

For me it's Cara.. the best bowler, male or female, australia has ever produced. That is until Belmo came along.
And from the USA it's Don Simmons

Ian Bradford, for smoothness, shot repetition, technicality and approachability...probably the nicest of the older school bowlers I've had the pleasure to talk to.

Ian Bradford was always the benchmark in Australia, his accuracy and ability to win and dominate just about everything he bowled was exceptional. Internationally, Norm Duke is the greatest.....

There are some GREAT names within this thread and honestly too many bowlers to pick from.

For me in the old day (when I was 8 to 9 years old) my idols were

Lawrie "Animal" Hill
Dave Hardy
Tom Kury
Carl Bottomley
Tony Rodderick
Jeanette Baker
Alison Wood - Fisher
Cara Honeychurch

and now all I could do is add to that list with

Tim Mack
Belmo
Jason Walsh
Cameron Walsh

etc etc

I would also have to say that my true idols would have to be my children Shontay (7) and Khynan (4) they have just bowled their first year of league and Khynan came 1st with Shontay coming 3rd (after a few missed weeks) and they truley are an inspiration and I believe that is what an idol is all about. They proudly display their trophies to all our visitors and the trophies even take pride of place whilst we're eating dinner. They pooled their money together and bought a joint gift and two individual gifts which they proudly show off to all and exclaim "We bought this with our bowling money"

So they would have to be my idols, for their devotion, inspiration and determination

Rachel

In my opinion and we all would have different views, I Consider without doubt Jeanette Baker the best female bowler I have seen. Coming down to the best male bowler I could never decide between, Chris Batson,Ian Bradford, steve Mackie and Joe Velo wish may surprise many was a hero to me when I first started out. Overseas I would say Dick webber.Thanks to George and Belmo for the Exebition AT Berri Bowling centre for the opening of a long overdue centre. after all my years in bowling I am glad a centre is near me to return and I am still shell shocked with the style belmo has and must say he is a credit to anyone showing you can work around styles.

Back
Top Bottom