Ball damages at Rockhampton.

yea same here speedy, we would always investigate ball damage asap, either move them to another set of lanes, or get them to stop bowling for a while until we found the problem. if it was damaged, would either offer to plug whatever it was, or if it was something major, replace to ball. dont see why rockhampton shouldnt replace the ball, if it was their machinery that caused it, they are liable.

adum... i dont exactly remember wat pair of lanes i was on... it was a rough guess. maybe it was 21 & 22 then? i dont know anymore... :p

This tournament has been running for 18 years!!
Bowlers have have complained and bitched about the lanes and the conditions for 18 years!!!
Yet every year regardless of what has been said it all happens again??

The answer to the problem is simple.. If you dont want to bowl on dry lanes
and cant bear the thought of your equipment getting damaged!! "DONT GO"!!

But if you want to participate in one of the most difficult tournaments on the Queensland calendar and show off your diverse bowling skills I would suggest you have a go..

Final and foremost, if you are prepared to bowl a ball 60ft down the lane into 10 solid pins, only to be pushed around and returned by 1 tonne of machinery and expect it to come back in brand new pristine condition every time!! Go get a reality check!! your dreaming ..

I can remember when bowling was all about having fun and meeting people!! All that seems to matter these days is what equipment you use and who you are associated with??

If you cant handle it, get out and take up macrame!!

where are you from? rocky? obviously you own a plastic ball that you bought for $135.00 not a reactive for $300.00-$400.00 and if you read properly the complaint is about damage to balls not the lanes.the reason why they come back is for the friendship,competition,atmosphere etc.in saying that the lanes and equipment should be able to handle that if not move to another centre.you musnt have bowled in that tournament before nobody likes to bowl there but its the only tournament for the kids thats why

Darth Vader said:
This tournament has been running for 18 years!!
Bowlers have have complained and bitched about the lanes and the conditions for 18 years!!!
Yet every year regardless of what has been said it all happens again??
The answer to the problem is simple.. If you dont want to bowl on dry lanes
and cant bear the thought of your equipment getting damaged!! "DONT GO"!!
But if you want to participate in one of the most difficult tournaments on the Queensland calendar and show off your diverse bowling skills I would suggest you have a go..
Final and foremost, if you are prepared to bowl a ball 60ft down the lane into 10 solid pins, only to be pushed around and returned by 1 tonne of machinery and expect it to come back in brand new pristine condition every time!! Go get a reality check!! your dreaming ..
I can remember when bowling was all about having fun and meeting people!! All that seems to matter these days is what equipment you use and who you are associated with??
If you cant handle it, get out and take up macrame!!

mate, bowling is not all about fun, yes, i would love it to be all about fun, but....you want to go to a centre, and participate in a tournament etc, you expect the lanes, machinery etc, to be in good condition and not worry about anything, who cares if its been running for 18 years, the fact is, 2 balls have been damaged in the last 2 years, and not 1 thing has been done...if they had of replaced the ball, i would not of put a post on here, but nothing was done last year to phillip's ball either.
and obviously you're not an ''up to date'' bowler, yourself, otherwise you would understand that the gear you use has alot to do with ten pin bowling these days...lets say you jsut bought a $400 ball, owned it for 4 weeks..you go to a centre/tournament, which is basically all about fun anyway..and your ball is screwed by the second day, what would you do?

adum said:
lets say you jsut bought a $400 ball, owned it for 4 weeks..you go to a centre/tournament, which is basically all about fun anyway..and your ball is screwed by the second day, what would you do?

You would use the screwed up ball and destroy their lane surface ;)

Then what would they offer?

speedwaygm said:
you musnt have bowled in that tournament before nobody likes to bowl there but its the only tournament for the kids thats why

Thats so true nobody likes to bowl in the tournament!! But it is the only big Queensland Junior tournament other then Nationals!! It was my 4 th year this yr and i still don't know the conditions!! I was talking to some of my friends before i had left for Rocky and they said why doesn't this tournament go any where else?? and that was coming from non Bowlers!! i would like that question answered!!

From Chooken

Chooken said:
Thats so true nobody likes to bowl in the tournament!! But it is the only big Queensland Junior tournament other then Nationals!! It was my 4 th year this yr and i still don't know the conditions!! I was talking to some of my friends before i had left for Rocky and they said why doesn't this tournament go any where else?? and that was coming from non Bowlers!! i would like that question answered!!
From Chooken
just a couple of points
The sheilds called the Mckenna Shield isnt it, it would be pretty hard to imagine it being held anywhere but rocky and to be honest it would be a bit rude considering the tournament was started by the rocky assocation.
As for the conditions being dry, from someone whose bowled in the tournament albeit 12 years ago now, rocky in january is damn hot and the air con isnt the best up there so even if they flooded the lanes i wouldnt see the oil lasting that long.

As for a $300 ball being damaged beyond repair and only being offered $50 that too is a bit rude and not a very good pr exercise for a tournament that many a junior bowler has strived to play in for 18 years.

If it had of been my ball im telling you i would have politely told Mr Mckenna would he could do with his $50.

LOL
They say they couldn't do anything about it. But yet the give ya $50 really seems point less.

I wonder if it was the same lane as Phillip the year before.

Bowler said:
LOL
They say they couldn't do anything about it. But yet the give ya $50 really seems point less.
I wonder if it was the same lane as Phillip the year before.

Correct me anyone if I'm wrong, but I think it was lane 7.

There is a major difference between a ball being damaged and a ball being destroyed.......in this case the ball was DESTROYED beyond repair, management should have acknowledged that and compensated the bowler by replacing the ball with an identical one, covering all the costs, including the drilling.

Balls being scratched and scuffed up is a common occurence and unavoidable in any bowling centre, however some ball damage is preventable............balls being destroyed is becoming increasingly common, and I'm not real sure why this is, maybe it has something to do with materials they use in manufacturing balls these days or it could be the age old saying "they don't make em like they used to"

Balls jumping out of gutters is becoming increasingly common also, when a ball jumps out of the gutter, it usally means the gutter is not tight, when the ball impacts it, it flexs and shoots the ball back out, bit like a trampoline effect.
The amount the gutter flexs depends on the type and make of the gutter and where the ball impacts it, if the ball impacts the gutter between the lane trusses, you can expect a loose gutter or somewhat damaged gutter to spring the ball out with devastating results.

The worse type of gutters for this scenario is the bumpa gutters that split in two and are raised by air rams or struts, these gutters are made of a durable plastic which where manufactured with the ability to absorb ball impact by flexing, which is fine when the bumpa's are up and the 8lb ball is being thrown by a small child.
The problem arises when the gutters are down and a heavy ball travelling at speed impacts the gutter between the lane trusses which results in the scenario above.

The worst centre that I have seen for this type of ball damage is Strathpine bowl, at this centre I have seen balls jump from one lane to the next, balls which slam into the scoring camera's, balls that slam into the lower rake arms and even the return tracking at the downsweep...........they even had a ball that went thru the gap in the masking unit between lanes 10 and 11 not long after they first opened..............if that ball had hit the mechanic on duty, it would have killed him instantly.

Strathpine didn't address the problem by eliminating it, they just tried to limit the amount of damaged sustained, if you look closely at the rake arms at this centre you will see great lumps of heavy duty urethane/rubber protecting the lower rale arms at the pivot point. Look also at their house balls, the are absolutely covered in deep gouges, scratches and ball plugging repairs from previous damage.......repairing customers balls at this centre is a everyday event.

Neville

Back
Top Bottom