Ball damages at Rockhampton.

A

adum

I arrived back from rocky today, I went up with 4 balls, and came back with 3
I left a ten pin, went for the spare, it bounced in the gutter before reaching the pin, bounced back out, hit the pin, and jumped up and hit the table/back board. Turned around and my 4 week old Storm Recharge was in 2 pieces, the top of the ball was(perfectly) sliced off, it looked like a nail hit, even a screw, by the marks left on the ball, the impact say's it all that there was something down the back, other then the speed of the ball.
I got $50 out of all of it, thats it. So I would like to know other oppinions on what to do, and, apparently this happened to Phillip Fagg's plastic ball last year, this really isn't giving Rockhampton a good name.

You got $50 after a brand new ball was destroyed? You got ripped. I believe that the centre should be getting you a new Recharge...
I know that during roll offs 2 years ago down here someones spare ball had a nice gauge taken out of it by one of the lanes and they just replaced it with a new ball.
At our centre I am sure we will give a new ball to you if the ball is damaged beyond repair.

We fix any ball damage, wether it be machine, lane, bowler stupidity while bowling, no questions asked. if it can't be repaired, we either give them a deal on a new ball if the damaged ball was say 5+ years old, or replace if current.

Why? It's good PR

I was up at rocky for the Association Challenge a couple of years ago. I was bowling on Lanes 1 & 2 when I threw down my spare ball (Storm Golf Ball) because the lanes were so dry nobody but the home team could use anything other than plastic up there (As some people say "they dont use oil on their lanes let alone on their chips to cook them, they fry them cos they are so tight"). My ball got stuck and you could see it down the back rotating slowly and when the tech finally sent it back up I had a 2 - 3 inch width chunk taken out of my ball around the entire circumfrence and John McKenna's great idea was to angle grind it and make my ball dull in the middle and shiny on the out side (Wont even begin to say what I think of that guy). They even refused to change the surface of the ball when I finally got the ball back from the wally's down the back. I tried to bowl it in our next comp again Gold Coast and it literally jumped 2 inch's off the lane each rotation. My ball is known as the Egg now and I went out a bought another one because I got nothing from them (not even an apology or anything). They basically blamed it on me and had just about all of the Association's chucking a spack about it. Rocky wonders why no one likes going up there (eg. Qld South State Championship) - You get treated like crap and they really couldn't give a toss about the bowler or their equipment. I personally will never go back to Rockhampton because of their lack of care and consideration for the people that keep them in business.

I really think you got ripped off...You should have ben given a new ball...Quite plain and simple really...:)

This is an Interesting argument. I have had several balls damaged in centres that generally have older equipment than others do - one unnamed centre has claimed 4 of my balls in the last 6 months. Recently a Roto Grip Silver Streak SE - with 2 large gouges our of it over my roll !! - This ball is only available in the USA where I bought this! (Correct me if I am wrong!)...

Centres will tell you it is your choice to bowl in a centre and by doing so you accept the risk associated with. This in essence is correct, HOWEVER there is a part of law that relates to 'due care and responsibility'. In my opinion, I believe that faulty equipment, screw heads, tools left in ball returns, un-serviced or old an wearing equipment is not showing due care and therefore could be argued that damage to balls in some/most cases is the responsibility of the centre. As annoying as it is, we all still bowl and love it...!

krdavis said:
This is an Interesting argument. I have had several balls damaged in centres that generally have older equipment than others do - one unnamed centre has claimed 4 of my balls in the last 6 months. Recently a Roto Grip Silver Streak SE - with 2 large gouges our of it over my roll !! - This ball is only available in the USA where I bought this! (Correct me if I am wrong!)...
Centres will tell you it is your choice to bowl in a centre and by doing so you accept the risk associated with. This in essence is correct, HOWEVER there is a part of law that relates to 'due care and responsibility'. In my opinion, I believe that faulty equipment, screw heads, tools left in ball returns, un-serviced or old an wearing equipment is not showing due care and therefore could be argued that damage to balls in some/most cases is the responsibility of the centre. As annoying as it is, we all still bowl and love it...!
Regardless if it's our choice or not to bowl, all machines and other equipment, either down the back, ball return, etc, should be running smoothly and well maintained, no bowlers should be worried about ball damages, etc.

ok sorry to ask what might sound like a stupid question, but you didnt mention it - did you take it up with the manager? or did you just take what they offered?
hopping on here and complaining about it might only make your life harder because if the management read it and you havent given them a fair go it could be very damaging for them when they _might_ not deserve it.

of course, simple solution - dont hit the gutter! :p

patrick said:
ok sorry to ask what might sound like a stupid question, but you didnt mention it - did you take it up with the manager? or did you just take what they offered?
hopping on here and complaining about it might only make your life harder because if the management read it and you havent given them a fair go it could be very damaging for them when they _might_ not deserve it.
of course, simple solution - dont hit the gutter! :p
I sure did, my manager basically went off at him, after the incodent, straight away, he went up to John McKenna, had a talk to him about everything, which I wasn't involved in, because obviously John tried to make it discreet he was talking to my manager, at the end of it, he handed him $50, and said, ''it's not our problem, the ball bounced out of the gutter, and then hit the table. I'm sorry, but I can't do anything about it.'' Apparently he said that and walked away.
You have a very valid point though, thank you for your post.

hi adam....

last year phil fagg had the same problem. he was in the mt warren team with me and his ball had the whole top sliced off too and he was ripped off as well... maybe rockhampton bowl need to start either fixing their lanes or actually owning up to their mistakes and paying for a new ball for u and anyone else who has this problem.

From Michelle

Missy89 said:
hi adam....
last year phil fagg had the same problem. he was in the mt warren team with me and his ball had the whole top sliced off too and he was ripped off as well... maybe rockhampton bowl need to start either fixing their lanes or actually owning up to their mistakes and paying for a new ball for u and anyone else who has this problem.
From Michelle

yeah, so I heard, but did phillip fight? I left it up to my manager, everyone was telling me to go up to him and ask for a replace, etc, but he stood his ground with the $50, and that was the end of it.
If anyone would like to see the damage of the ball, email is - couchesaresexy@hotmail.com

yeh well

why would ya bowl at Rockhampton, has to be the worst bowling ally around
if bowlers keep going there they won't change
i bowled the state championships there, i bowled the morning squad and they didn't even oil the lanes. They didn't oil them until the second squad
futher more my bowling balls were always coming back with scuff marks, i ended up using my worst ball as i didnt want to use perfectly good balls that would have been better rolled down a road

The only good thing about the place is that they support competitve bowling, pity they don't back it up with good facilities, common sense etc

just my opinion

its called jnr shield, thats why you bowl there.

If there are enough complaints, i dont see any logical reason why the association doesnt threaten them with relocating the shield tournament if they dont shape up.

Everyone who had their equipment damaged, submit a formal complaint to tbaq and request they move the shield if something isnt done. If enough people complain about it, day in day out (literally, keep calling them to know what they are doing about it), they will have to do something to get you all off their backs.

TBAQ still presides over their sanctioning though doesnt it? I mean, both the center and tournament are sanctioned arent they? Are continual reports of damage and mistreatment enough to revoke their sanctioning?

if the centre are gonna have the attitude that its your fault then i know that by some law they must replace or compensate for the damage or loss of equipment.
newcastle superstrike are excellent on this matter, if your ball even gets a chip taken out they will put it in the pro shop and have it fixed free of charge, and also check the machine to find out what went wrong

any centre that does not do something like this is giving themselves bad publicity and are not taking care of there bowlers

to this point, i had somethin similar happen to my ball while i was up there for the junior shield. i was on lanes 22 and 23, i went n bowled my smokin inferno. did the same thing as adum, hit the gutter and as it did that, jumped out and up into the pin deck. when my ball came bak, i had a small chip taken out on the opposite side of my track which was good but still, it shouldnt have happen. i keep sayin that its my fault but thats not wat my manager thought up there. when i showed wat had happened to my ball, my manager went straight to the desk. she wasnt very impressed at all. it was sorted out that they would patch up where the chip had been taken up. still, it doesnt match up to wat was done to adums ball. they should have replaced that ball. not given him just $50 for it. isnt it common sense to do that if it has happened at ur centre from their equipment?

thats wat ive got to say anyway!!!

MeL_aCwOrTh said:
to this point, i had somethin similar happen to my ball while i was up there for the junior shield. i was on lanes 22 and 23, i went n bowled my smokin inferno. did the same thing as adum, hit the gutter and as it did that, jumped out and up into the pin deck. when my ball came bak, i had a small chip taken out on the opposite side of my track which was good but still, it shouldnt have happen. i keep sayin that its my fault but thats not wat my manager thought up there. when i showed wat had happened to my ball, my manager went straight to the desk. she wasnt very impressed at all. it was sorted out that they would patch up where the chip had been taken up. still, it doesnt match up to wat was done to adums ball. they should have replaced that ball. not given him just $50 for it. isnt it common sense to do that if it has happened at ur centre from their equipment?
thats wat ive got to say anyway!!!
Thanks for your post Mel, I appreciate it, but I would like to know how you can bowl on lanes '' 22 & 23 '' Bit bizzare I think, maybe thats why your ball had a chunk taken out, because you were bowling on two different pair's.:D

hi adum ive worked at 2 bowling alleys as a backend tech and no matter how it happened or whos to blame we try our hardest to fix the ball as good as we possibly can its just good pr in this bussiness you cant afford to loose bowlers.i was als there when mindy copped the damage to her ball to me it was that bad that the ball be deemed unusable,so i think you should ask your centre to buy a new ball and send john the bill if he refuses ask toowoomba to boycott jnr shield and ask that they start their own at sunset or garden city you might be surprised how many will go there instead id certainly be advising a couple of teams to do so my opinion and hopefully,maybe brian at caboolture will be interested they have great facilities and staff and everyone bowls well there just a thought;)

Back
Top Bottom