Ashes to Ashes

Working nights in London, have access to TV showing Sky.
Very sad show by the english lads, more than likely to follow on.
Cannot see us winning one test on this showing, I hope not.
Expect us to lose the series, just hope that we can push you Aussies

I think ricky ponting has battered 2 long, mind you i am not sure england can hold for 2 days

I think ricky ponting has battered 2 long, mind you i am not sure england can hold for 2 days

Having been there today and watched their dismal "performance", I highly doubt it.

The only thing that could save them in this Test is rain. I wouldn't hold out for that one at the moment. Even then, I think Australia would still bowl them out easily.

They are missing Vaughnn soo badly. Not just his batting, but his leadership and presence on the field. My tip is he will be back at latest by the 3rd Test at Perth, if not the 2nd at Adelaide.. England had a totally different demeanor on the field in this match compared to in 2005. I think that came largely from him, and his leadership, attitude and confidence.

They are missing Vaughnn soo badly. Not just his batting, but his leadership and presence on the field. My tip is he will be back at latest by the 3rd Test at Perth, if not the 2nd at Adelaide.. England had a totally different demeanor on the field in this match compared to in 2005. I think that came largely from him, and his leadership, attitude and confidence.
Yep, agree with that totally.
Their body language and demeanour is of a team expecting to get flogged.
Flintoff can't do it all on his own, and needs Vaughan there to steady the ship while he gets on with the business.
I get the feeling Strauss is the unofficial captain of the side at any rate, making the tactical manouvres in conference with Freddie, but Freddie is more of the 'lead by my example' type of figurehead.
If I recall correctly, in the 2005 Ashes series, the first ball of the first Test at Lords the English opening quick felled Justin Langer - what a contrast the first ball of the first Test in this series was!
Australia routed the Poms in that first Test at Lords but went on to lose the series, Australia barring any major catastrophe should win this one easily, but the big decider will be how the English handle this defeat.
Will they go back into their shell's - like they did in previous tours - and like they have in this test, or will they show something?

What are the odds on Vaughan being picked for the Adelaide Test? ;)

PS: How over-zealous were the Gabba Security Nazi's up there today Tim?

PS: How over-zealous were the Gabba Security Nazi's up there today Tim?

I actually had no problems with the staff or security yesterday, whereas I have in previous years.

I arrived to the ground at about 9, and was sitting in my seat by 9:10. They checked my eski at the gate, took about 30 seconds, and that was it. The security guard was pleasant and didn't frisk me or anything. I didn't see anyone else having problems.

I have had issues in previous years however, with gabba ushers and staff who have just intentionally tried to be obnoxious, intrusive, and "assert their authoritah". This year I had no problems, my only complaint is the lack of atmosphere this year, as the Barmy Army has been spread out. I sat with a few, and they were great.

I actually had no problems with the staff or security yesterday, whereas I have in previous years.
I arrived to the ground at about 9, and was sitting in my seat by 9:10. They checked my eski at the gate, took about 30 seconds, and that was it. The security guard was pleasant and didn't frisk me or anything. I didn't see anyone else having problems.
I have had issues in previous years however, with gabba ushers and staff who have just intentionally tried to be obnoxious, intrusive, and "assert their authoritah". This year I had no problems, my only complaint is the lack of atmosphere this year, as the Barmy Army has been spread out. I sat with a few, and they were great.
Yeah I've heard quite a lot of things about the over-zealous security people there from family friends who've visited for AFL games there over the years, also read accounts from others on football and cricket forums.
You're on the money about the lack of atmosphere there, been watching it on the telly here every day and can't get over how quiet the crowd is, should stick the Poms in blocks of seating altogether, and let the poor bugger have his trumpet back while they're at it!

Can you imagine watching cricket in the West Indies with no musical instruments and ground Nazi's chucking out every spectator who's pissed?

It's annoying how they over-sanitize every sport in this country, went to an AFL game six months back, never been so bored in all my life.

I just saw the schedule for the rest of the series. Talk about a packed summer. 5 tests in a month and a half! I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few injuries.
Also, remember England doesn't have to win the series to retain the ashes, just draw it although on current form even this seems unlikely...go the aussies!

Dinesh

I went to the last morning of the first test at the gabba and i was sitting next to the Barmy Army and I gotta say I don't think they can be matched by the aussie crowds no matter how out numbered they are. I felt like jumping in, joining the chorus and pretending to be a pom but I never would. Michael Vaughan may be right to play in the third test, the only way England would stand any chance of atleast drawing the series to retain the ashes is the return of their inspirational captain and RAIN.

AUSSIES TO WIN 3-2

551 declared... and we already have lost a wicket :( ...

Lucky the poms batted for far to long, we have a chance to draw it.

They miss Jones more than Vaughan. I don't think Vaughan would be much help to them. He hasn't played since 2005 Ashes and made a duck in a tour match in WA.

Wayne

Is it just me, or do others agree that Cricket Australia is going to ruin Test cricket just to get more money?

Both tests of the current series have been practically decided at the toss. By the end of day 2, one side has been played out of the match and can only hope to draw. Surely this is not what test cricket is all about.

It seems to me that Cricket Australia wants to ensure the matches get to 5 days for maximum attendance (and maximum $) and are therefore getting pitches produced that give little or no assistance to the bowling team and therefore the side that bats first has a huge advantage.

I for one don't really want to watch a team bat for two long days (regardless of whether it is Aust or Eng). I would much prefer to see a contest that ebbs and flows throughout all 3,4 or 5 days with both sides having a chance to win.

I remember when India was out here a couple of years ago that the same thing happened - the 3 game series was 0-0 because both sides racked up 600+. I know that we got a result in the first test here and may also get one in the second but to me "it's just not cricket"

I'd be interested in what other people think.

I think thats its good that they have stepped up the sercuity but i think that they have gone a bit too far by someone saying aussie aussie and they just pounced on him and took him out thats a bit too far and i dont like it how they have banned the mexican wave.
Have they banned beach balls?

Is it just me, or do others agree that Cricket Australia is going to ruin Test cricket just to get more money?
Both tests of the current series have been practically decided at the toss. By the end of day 2, one side has been played out of the match and can only hope to draw. Surely this is not what test cricket is all about.
It seems to me that Cricket Australia wants to ensure the matches get to 5 days for maximum attendance (and maximum $) and are therefore getting pitches produced that give little or no assistance to the bowling team and therefore the side that bats first has a huge advantage.
I for one don't really want to watch a team bat for two long days (regardless of whether it is Aust or Eng). I would much prefer to see a contest that ebbs and flows throughout all 3,4 or 5 days with both sides having a chance to win.
I remember when India was out here a couple of years ago that the same thing happened - the 3 game series was 0-0 because both sides racked up 600+. I know that we got a result in the first test here and may also get one in the second but to me "it's just not cricket"
I'd be interested in what other people think.
I reckon they should just play the 2 innings for each team no matter how long it takes and have a 3 day break in between test matches. Im not really a fan of teams having to declare because of a no result situation.

I reckon they should just play the 2 innings for each team no matter how long it takes and have a 3 day break in between test matches. Im not really a fan of teams having to declare because of a no result situation.

They used to do that.... tests used to go for 9 days straight, I doubt they would bring that back..

But agreed, the hyp as died a bit because of teams hogging the wicket.

Wayne.

2 Nilll 2 Nil 2 Nilll 2 Nil 2 Nilllllll 2 Nil 2Nillllllllllllllllll

White Waaaashhh White Wash White Waaaashhh White Wash LOL :) :) :)

Best Test Cricket Match ive ever seen! absolutely brilliant example of a team collapsing under pressure! great to watch!

Alex

i watched the last half an hour and well great to see clark and hussey finish the second test of in style and making it two nil to england i don't think the the bramy army will be to happy neither will england as for the next test at perth australia 3 england 0

Start Walking Home England... after making 551 in the 1st innings, noone should of lost... 1 word... CHOKE!!!

Ash

Back
Top Bottom