Youth Tournament Ideas

Mankind_280

I've converted #stormnation
With the NSW youth tournaments series having 2 events to go I would just like to throw this out and see if it stick

minium bowlers 32

Double elimination Bracket Format...... or Single Elimination

If there are only 32 bowlers.... bowl 4/6 games to seed the players for the tournament if there are more then 32 bowlers it will be to decide the top 32...

you could even cut it to 16 if it were single elimination

Its great to have a title match

Just an Idea.

James

that would be a great format to bowl in, great idea james. another format would the same as we had it on the weekend but without carry over.

Yeah you know me, I bowl in almost anything haha. I dont mind the format although i personaly like matchplay but yeah it is good to see different formats. The idea of these new formats was to stop it from being boring with matchplay over and over again, but the problem is that everyone has gone with this and everyone has changed, it would be nice to still see some of the events using our "usual" formats with the odd elimination final.

But thats just my own oppinion.

I would love to see one on one matches, and only the one match at a time, either step ladder or even when it gets to the business end of double elimination. Sure, it might slow down the tournament, but having everyone watching the one match can create a great atmosphere.
Im pretty sure they used to do it in the Coke Cola cup years and years go, but gettin one lane set up like on tv, i wouldnt care if i was bowling, it would just be great to watch!

Just some of my thoughts
Hamish

I like the idea of head to head - the carry-over pinfall should definitely go - that way everyone has a chance on day 2 - AND (I'll probably upset some people here but) I don't think females should have an extra 8 pins per game!! Where is the equality? - it should be a level playing field - we have many great female bowlers who are quite capable of wiping the floor with us guys - they are just as strong & just as capable. Look at the Orange youth tournament - Kara T would have won without the extra pins (& she is a junior!!)- she was so far ahead of everyone no-one else had a hope - girls can bowl- why the extra pins? That's my say - head to head - no carry over pinfall & no extra pins!!

I dont want to change the topic to this but, I'm not bagging the 8 pins per game idea, let me explain
Typically, generally, which ever you like, females do not bowl as well, there are many reasons but the facts are solid. So to encourage the majority they give them bonuses to purly increase entries.
It is fair but it also has its flaws. The bonus idea is there to cover the generalisation that females average lower, not the stand outs that would win/qualify anyway
Please understand this is not a rip into all the women bowling in australia.
ANYWAY
Get back to the topic, because I know Sue will be reading!!
James

Sue and max are heading in the right direction in my eyes
They’re doing there best, where seeing more girls and juniors out there.

The biggest key is money, the right time for the tournament and times.

Money: I know about for or five bowlers didn’t bowl cause it was to close to the big Brunswick tournament in 2 weeks and they couldn’t afford it. I know this circuit is spaced out but it still has it clashers.

Tournaments: the juniors have so many championships that they travel around with some carnet afford to do all them plus these ones too.
So all the committees of all theses circuits have to sit down and work out dates at the start of the year, or all circuits are going to die.

Times: maybe a morning squad and a night squad, one-day events the formats changing from tournament are good.

Sponsors, I like thank bowlersbasement for the back they are giving and James
They’re the ones that are keeping the sport a live

Bowlers need to back the nsw circuit or where not going to have a circuit,
Then it’s going to cost you a lot more to travel with the national circuit.

Where is bowling going I nsw, we better find it or will never see president shield or youth one again.

I know this is the wrong thing to be posting it in, but i would love to see a big junior tournament around the time of the old nationals next year, something just as big as sydney cup. Seein as Sydney cup is the only big junior tournament out there, something needs to be made for juniors to experience what in happens in youth without wasting there money, and im not saying juniors cant compete. Just my thoughts

Hamish

hey guys, just thinkin bout the head to head, james suggested 3-4 games to seed the bowlers or cut. i would like to see this format with the say 6 or 8 games to seed then on the second day total pinfall of 2 games either double or single elimination. would this break the budget for prize money, increase it or stay the same. with changing the format we all have to remember that it may cost us more which may mean less bowlers or hack into or prize fund. if sue is reading these maybe we could ask for her opinion or even Maxs opinion.

Stuart Little said:
I know this is the wrong thing to be posting it in, but i would love to see a big junior tournament around the time of the old nationals next year, something just as big as sydney cup. Seein as Sydney cup is the only big junior tournament out there, something needs to be made for juniors to experience what in happens in youth without wasting there money, and im not saying juniors cant compete. Just my thoughts
Hamish

Here here Ham!! Aside from nationals, there isnt really anything big for Juniors to bowl in except Sydney Cup. I think that one reason behind a slight lack of Juniors attending Youth Events is their experience...they know that they are not as experienced as the big names in bowling so they dont even bother. It may sound stupid but its true...so maybe a second big tourny for Juniors could be looked at?

Jen

I spoke to a centre manager up here about puttin on a big junior tournament, bigger than junior redcliffe city, but the only thing that would attract juniors is a good prize fund, and that means sponsors or a big entry fee. How could we draw sponsors to a junior tournament?

i reckon a tourny at the gold coast when old nationals were will be great, its not too far for qlders or nswers but the thing is to get the rest of the country to come over as well. that is the hard part. even if ballina held a massive youth tourny like sydney cup or sharpe it will put bowling on the map in that area. the format should be the same as a ranked adult tourny as the get the juniors to see what its like bowling like an adult tourny without the added pressure of playing against the big guys. pinfall should be dropped as to even the playing field out on day two. y not have it on queens birthday long weekend and run it over 3 days with a day to qualify and then cut to top 30 with 24 game 3 way matchplay then stepladder showcase final, which would be awesome to see. its got to have everything in it to make it a big tourny. i know, i know what about the costs u say. thats the only place a tourny that big could get unstuck but i like the formula, considering i only just thought it up then

just my two cents

faggy with an f

I have been reading the post in the Queensland forum about bowling tournaments dying in Qld & I guess the problem is the same all over the country - we need sponsors to put some money into tournaments - or we need bowling centres to charge MUCH lower fees (which Iunderstand is difficult BUT they would still make money from food ?) - we need more people like Aldo Belmonte who doesn't charge lineage & puts the funds back into tournaments for the good of bowling BUT this would be a perfect world!!
Many junior bowlers will not bowl youth tournaments because they see the competition as too tough & a lot of these bowlers drop out after juniors and never bowl youth at all. We need to encourage these bowlers to try more youth tournaments & until we do these youth events will not draw the numbers needed to continue.
One of the complaints I heard from the last event was that the form (once again) said - top 14 bowlers & next 2 juniors who did not qualify - I was ready for that to change when the cut was changed because there were juniors in the top 10 but other juniors thought they might still make the cut - the form should state clearly that if there are juniors in the cut no extra juniors will be added & if this is the case I think there will be even less juniors bowl - but it is not fair to encourage new juniors to the comp & then change the rules.
Juniors need to be encouraged to bowl more & then they might continue in the sport or the youth circuit will die once again!!

Maybe this could be used for junior tournaments, but try and get a national series (just like the national youth series) for the juniors, and get a major sponsor for that. Of course there would need to be more tournaments set up for it, but say if there was Sydney Cup, Junior Redcliffe City, Junior NQ open, and maybe another on in victoria, a series could be set up. I know it would be hard to get a sponsor to commit for a whole year, but if juniors where willing to bowl some more junior tournaments, maybe this could help not only juniors in australia, but youth tournaments in the near future, seeing as juniors would be less intimidated by all the big youth bowlers because they have more experience.

Just a thought

Its good why all have ideas and I encourage them to continue

But how to get the SPONSER, that is the question!

Back
Top Bottom