Taxi

Growly

Could anyone tell me the origins of "taxi" aka gutter ball? It is used quite often, in most of the Adelaide centres.:surrender:
A Norwood bowler heard the expression in England some 45years ago & even he was enquiring where the expression came from.:confused:

Could anyone tell me the origins of "taxi" aka gutter ball? It is used quite often, in most of the Adelaide centres.:surrender:
A Norwood bowler heard the expression in England some 45years ago & even he was enquiring where the expression came from.:confused:

I believe it's the same as someone dropping a glass or bottle of beer. It insinuates you are drunk and need a ride home.

I stand corrected....I have very kindly been informed by someone who knows and this is the explanation:

TAXI

The shout used when a bowlers misses their mark by a large margin...sometimes in association with conducting an "area check"; similar to the phrase used in the midwest/colder winter parts of the US when someone might say to a player that misses wildly to the gutter side..."Please start my car while you are there." i.e., so far "outside".

You know who you are.......thanks !!!

If you throw a gutter ball, self admittedly you've thrown it like a ****wit, and if your "profession" is a taxi driver then you are most likely a ****wit?

Just a stab in the dark :D .

GARF J.

Back
Top Bottom