Is this the best way to prepare the juniors for the future?

My apologies are extended Andrew Frawley..Thanks to Micky_Macca for for filling me in on the fortunes of the two lefties.

As for the willey man....Once again Mr Williams is on my case. You're dreaming pops if you think high scoring is simply the result of a lot of practice. You can't shoot those kind of numbers without help in the form of hold..Free hook is one thing, but without the puddle in the middle there wouldn't be bowlers averaging 30+ pins over their league avg.

LOL at your "old days" reference. I guess the art of reading the lanes has been lost now that you can "adjust" by pulling a new ball out of your bag. Who the hell wants to have the same reaction on every lane?..that certainly isn't what made bowling a sport!

Ill keep this short.

Though the scores are high, does that make the event any easier to win??? I can tell you NO.

Wheather your averaging 180 or 240 to win you are still the bowler to have the highest scores to win.

No matter what the scores are, The best players on the day win....on any condition in any tournament.

Jason Belmonte

James, I don't know why you brought this topic up because the most important thing is that the juniors were very happy with everything and were enjoying the atmosphere of the shield.
I think this has been a great topic, especially having had very well informed responses from Andrew and Craig, two very well informed and respected guys. Nobody is picking on the kids, just asking for opinions.
As for bad_ass, I don't know if you're joking around but don't pick on others for asking questions. James did not complain nor did he whinge. (One thing for sure is you may want to try using the preview button before the submit.)

Junior Nationals

Hey frawls well done to a successfull competition i belive that everthing went well the centre looked nice.
Im just curious to hear back from some of the rural romote centres of Australia that arent fortunate enough to have a kegel or great pin action or great hold area, because of older technology, what are there views of this subject?. And are the juniors that belong to these centres are they now whinging to those proprietors about there conditions?.
Also Frawls you have travelled all over the world whats happening in other countries are they promoting high scores in similar events?.

Down here in tassie at the 2 AMF Centres we are using the Centrury Summit lane machines, which are quite a good machine when they are working properly! Moonah is currently using a 4:1 (maybe even 5 or 6:1) pattern, but in Launceston we are using a Pattern of less than 2:1.

I wont speak for Moonah, Burnie, nor Devonport, but at Launceston we are using this type of Harder pattern to Make our "Higher" ave bowlers, "Better" Bowlers. Currently the Highest ave is the centre is around 197 with only 2 Bowlers over 190. The Proof was in the Pudding as to the way The Launceston members of the Pres Shield Team Performed last week. They ALL performed exceptionally well on the pattern that Frawls laid down which was vastly different from the one they are used to. Thus, the reasoning for having a harder pattern. We all like it this way and I dont think they will complain. I also think that more centres should take the same tact and trial it for a while. The Harder the Better. The Biggest thing holding them back is the Bowlers saying that if they can't bowl a 200 game every game then the lanes are crap. Its easy for us as we are the only centre in a 100km radius, but for say centres in Brisbane, they have trouble doing this as the Bowlers will just go to the next centre. So its a bit of a Catch 22.

As for the Kegel Technology, you dont necessarily need a Kegel Machine to lay down an exceptionally good scoring pattern. Just need to know how your machine works. Sure, Kegel does it better than anyone else and makes it very easy to replicate a pattern lane to lane, but you can do it with other machines, just not to the degree of accuracy of the Kegel stuff. I can only speak for the Summit and the Century Model C that we have used, but I can honestly tell you that we have laid down some very high scoring patterns with both of these machines over the years and done it pretty easily. It just takes time and a lane analyser to get it where you want it.

As for the pattern used for the Nationals, Frawls has justified his reasons as to why, and I think that he was quite within his rights use that pattern. He has a business to run too and wants ppl to come back to his centre, so why not. It also met the TBA Lane Conditioning Guidelines, so No Problems in my book. Just hope he does it for Rachuig next year so we can see how we go on it!! LOL

My only concern is that the Juniors who bowled last week will be thinking that they should be able to replicate those scroes everywhere else, which we all know aint going to happen! So, as long as they realise that, it should be all good!

I can honestly tell you that if we were going to have a Nationals in Lonny (which will never happen btw), we wouldnt use the 2:1 unless we were expressly asked to. We Would Juice them up a bit too.

The CYG Roll Offs pattern in Bendigo was laid down so they could see who could Spare. I guess this time they wanted to see who could Strike!

Cheers

Hey your forgetting a lefty from tasmania ADAM REEVES! he bowled extremely well and come equal third in masters with his twin brother who is a righty. ( well done to them) he also shot 725 for singles, and im sure his not the only lefty who did well,

Having high scores has its pro's and con's, some people would be happy they scored so well but didnt get anything for it some people wont be, it all depends on the individual!

i aved high for champs and didnt get in top 4 for anything. but im still happy with the way i bowled!

Kriddle,

I only wanted to speak for the Lonny Juniors. Em, Kara, Sam C, and Greg.
Therefore not commenting on any one else. The Reeves twins bowl at Burnie. I will say this tho, They are both exceptional bowlers for their age (Reminds me of myself, Matt Burtt, Mark Foster, and co. when we were that age LOL) and they know how much respect I have for them as Bowlers.

Cheers

i understand where your coming from, i think (roughly) the only ones that should expect to bowl like they did at nationals is the strikezone bowlers.

i'm a lefty so when i was bowling down there it seem ed to be exactly the same as what the right handers had but you really had to stick to your line if you did that then high scores come your way but in relation to that both sides where leaving a far few messes but they where all being converted so it just goes to show that with todays technology and how juniors are being trained and how the lanes are getting getting better and better how nows how high the cut could be in ten years time juniors might have to roll 800 series just to get in.

Back
Top Bottom