How long . . . . .

Shippeh

I was just wondering how long 2handed bowling has been a 'legal' style of bowling??? Just asking b'cus sum guy @ my local centre still has a problem with me bowlin 2handed (probably cus i beat him) and just too be sure (LoL) is bowling 2handed a legal style of 10pin bowling? ? ? ? :p :p :p :p :wink:
btw i thought his bitching was quite funny and laughed in his face! :shock:

Cheers :)

2 handed bowling has been always been legal. There are, however some equipment issues you need to be aware of, if you bowl 2 handed WITHOUT the thumb in the ball..

1. If your bowling ball has a thumb hole drilled into it AND a weight hole, then you MUST use the thumb hole for gripping purposes, otherwise the ball will be deemed to have 2 weight holes which is illegal. If it does not have a thumb hole drilled into it, then it may have a weight hole and you can use it 2 handed.

2. If you have a thumb hole drilled into the ball and NO weight hole, then you can legally throw this ball no thumb, as long as the hole does not measure more than 1 1/4 inches in diameter at any point as this is the maximum diameter a weight hole is allowed to be.

Hope this helps

Shippy,

As Brenton mentioned, under the conditions he stated, 2 handed bowling is definately legal.

Based on the question you have asked I will presume that you are unfamiliar with a guy called Jason Belmonte. 'Belmo' is one of the premier bowlers in Australia - An Australian Senoir & Youth Rep last year - he also bowls 2 handed! Have a look at the multimedia sections under live scores for past major tournaments located on this site you will find plenty of him there. He would be a great person to 'model' a 2 handed style on!

Cheers

Brenton,

If your bowling ball has a thumb hole drilled into it AND a weight hole, then you MUST use the thumb hole for gripping purposes,
Just a question.
How long must the thumb remain in the ball for gripping purposes (ball has thumb and balance hole) once you are set up on the approach?

Rob

i am not going into the hole issue, but in regards to methods being legal or not, there is no way in the world you could outlaw any particular style of bowling, unless it caused damage to the lanes, example shot putting the ball.

i think belmo and those like him, have been great for the game, they have generated so much discussion about our sport and shown us new ways on how to get the job done. personally i think its an exciting way of bowling.

just like warren stewarts back up ball in the 80's, people will squeal about it, but basically nothing can be done, or should it be.

thx 4 that yall i will copy this n kindly give it 4 the guy @ my centre to shut him up 4 good :lol: :lol:

i no about the ball regulations cus i had 2 get them all redrilled when i changed over. and of course ive heard of belmo - who hasnt? :shock: hes a bit of an idol 4 me :lol: :mrgreen:

thanks again!

:)

How long - Reply for Shippy

Hi Shippy

Just reading your questions and would like to add one more component to Brentons and others answers. If you are bowling without a thumb in the ball and there is no thumb hole and there is no weight hole - the Centre of the grip (where the balls legality is determined in a drilled ball) becomes the bridge between the fingers. If when weighing the ball for legality there has been a thumb hole drilled - but not used - also if there is no weight hole = the thumb is then considered the weight hole (if the thumb is not used in the release) - if the ball weighs illegal at that point because the position of the thumb hole (now considered the weight hole) puts the ball out of balance - tHE SCORE - THE MATCH - THE RESULT exists no more - in an accredited tournament or league.

Your question about the defining moment of when a release is a release - well you would need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to tackle that one. We have some very knowledgable persons here in Australia - I will add what I consider to be the start of the release and would appreciate others views as I do not consider myself always right - I am interested to hear other opinions.
In my opinion the release starts at the moment the thumb exits the ball. In this case with no thumb it would be when the fingers impart rotational direction to the ball. I know what you two handed bowlers are thinking - well my release starts just after pushaway because thats when I take the thumb out :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Your thoughts please.

Gail Torrens

I have heard rumours, that if part of your hand was covering the thumb hole, it could be classed as being used for gripping purposes. I can remember this being discussed on another forum, but I'm buggered if I can find it.

The reason it came up, was because a guy had a extra hole drilled for his pinky, but only used it occasionally. APPARENTLY, he asked officals about the legality of this, and was told, that if his pinky, or other part of his hand for that matter, covered the hole it was fine.

Any officals like to clear this up once and for all?

Question along these lines.........

We all know the famous Belmo "2 handed release", but I was wondering is it really a 2-handed release? I've watched slowed down movies of Jason bowling, & only one hand is touching the ball at the point of release. So what defines a two handed delivery? Is there a specific amount of time the ball must be held with both hands? Or is this getting a little TOO complicated?

Sorry for hijacking your post dude.

Brett...

I dont think ppl are talking about a 2 handed release, I think they are talking about having 2 hands on the ball most of the time.

It seems logical that you could not continue to keep your other hand on the ball after your fingers and thumb have come out (to inconsistent and I dread to see how far bent over the person would have to be).

You could also argue that you dont release the ball with the second hand (mainly because in BELMO's case it is on top of the ball - I would love to see him try to hold the ball from above without finger or thumb holes !!!).

I think it is an interesting point about the CG without a thumb hole....

JUST WONDERING THOUGH - if BELMO bowls a ball without his thumb in it - then as stated his thumb hole becomes a ballance hole ...

THEREFOR his CG would be between the two finger holes (as previously stated also).

IF this is the case, then Androo's comment would need to be clarified - is it considered used if part of the hand covers the hole????

Very technical Q. but for BELMOS sake, I think an official answer should be sought.

Browny

What I mean is something along the lines of using your other hand to tweak the ball as well. In such a case, a person would be using both hands to roll the ball down the lane, instead of using just the other hand to support the ball. I know it can be done, because me & my friends used to muck around with it, it's almost exactly like throwing a pass in rugby, where you use both hands to spin the ball.

Back
Top Bottom