Where is the money going?

G

Greg

Yes the Super 6 events are great for the sport but they appear even better for the centres, check out these estimations

100 bowlers @ 12 games @ $5.00 per game = $ 6000.00

39 bowlers @ 6 games @ $5.00 per game = $ 1170.00

15 bowlers @ 15 games @ $5.00 per game = $ 1125.00

Also allow an average spend of $5.00 per bowler (not including spectators and friends) 100 bowlers @ $5.00 = $500.00

$ 8795.00 in less than 2 days which still allows for social play on Saturday night. Why doesn't every centre host one on those figures????

***********************************************************************************************************

How about charge $3.00 a game, that means on the above figures there would be

Centre game takings over the 2 days = $4977.00 (as apposed to $8295.00)
Which also boosts the prizefund by $ 3318.00

I think $5000.00 in lineage on Saturday and Sunday (during the day) is doing pretty well. Are AMF taking advantage of the elite in this country??? Maybe :?

Anyone from AMF care to respond please

Where is the money going? Lets see

This is where a 'Bowlers Association' would be able to sit down with the tournament organisers and hopefully come to an agreement. Good post, I think AMF is not out there to take advantage of anyone. They are providing a service to bowlers, all we need is the bowlers to have a voice which will allow for a more profitable for both parties.

I'd be interested to see the prize breakdown and costings for the upcoming South Pacific. In the States (in Vegas in particular) they give a complete break down of costings and prizefund on their entry forms. Not a bad idea and allows the bowlers to know they are getting ripped off or there is no money going under the table.

My first topic I would like to raise is the structure of prizefunds. I see nothing wrong with a $8,000 1st, $ 4000 2nd, $2000 3rd, $1500 4th, $1000 5th, 6th to 16th (based on 16 qualifiers) $ 700. After that, you could pay out entry fee's as down as possible which would result in about a 1 in 4 payout. The idea is about rewarding the person who wins which is what the sport is all about. Just my suggestion, I think a 'Bowlers Association' should be the first port of call.

To Greg,

I am pleased to answer your query - you have overlooked two matters of importance namely :

i) AMF provides prize funds through tournament sponsorship exceeding $250,000 each year in the absence of other sponsors and this exceeds the bowling "revenue" received from bowlers in the tournaments involved; and

ii) during the events , AMF forgoes the opportunity to have casual or league bowlers using the lanes and this is an opportunity cost equal or greater than the "revenue" from the tournament bowlers.

Perhaps your thoughts might be better directed towards encouraging other sponsors to fund the prize funds as certainly was the case a decade ago. In essence, all AMF is doing is providing "free" use of its lanes so that the tournament bowlers can divide up their entry fees on the basis of performance!

I hasten to add that we are happy to do this as our contribution to the Sport of Tenpin Bowling by continuing to provide the forums for competitive bowlers to test their skills - just as we support the TBA - without either of which our Sport runs the significant risk of following lawn bowls, squash,etc into relative oblivion as sports and just become a fad.

Peter Finlayson, CEO, AMF Bowling Centres

Greg, could I suggest that you work backwards.
Total Bowlers x Entry Fee
Total Income - Prizefund
Remainder / Number of Games
Take into account all costs to get tournament going, eg printing, phone calls, staff time spent, all other overheads, and you may then get a better picture.
I would like you to re post your reply, as it will help everybody understand.
Thanks
Stax

PS
As I dont know how much entry fees are and what theprize breakbown is I cant do it.

Some valid point's george about prizefunds and entry fee's in tournaments as you quoted in your post re the up and coming south pacific. I'm sure AMF ,not that they have to justify the cost breakdown of there tournament but just out of curiosity for bowlers they would (I'm Sure) be glad to specify the breakdown.
It has been a tournament that has seen alot of sponsorship spent on it, and format changes, over the years that just keeps going considering the current decline in tournament numbers entries and for that matter number of tournaments in general.
I find and not a great lover of it , is that some prizefunds are still too top heavy which looks attractive to a select few, but to most of us.....even know it's nice to finish that high.....realisticly we look towards the middle or how far down it pays.
These days alot of people look at cost.......times are tough.....Me ....I'm a family man and starting to feel my age ....lol.....I can't justify spending the money I use to spend on this game even for recreational purposes because of the high cost's for a family of 4 to bowl compared to other area's. My question is "Is this game outpricing itself"...and who's going to be prepared to pay $20 a game...which is the way it's heading.
Bye now

Back
Top Bottom