What changes would you make?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
If you were June V. for one day only, what changes would you make?

Do you have any pet hates, or brilliant schemes which deserve to see the light of day?

Must admit one of mine is pre-bowling. That would be my first thing to go. Hate it when I turn up and find the opposition isn't there.

What do you think?

You think pre-bowling is bad!

Post-bowling is absolutlely the most unfair practice allowed. Now to those of you who will tell me that post-bowling isn't allowed...think again. I've seen it in at least three different centres in Australia and I'm sure there are a lot more.

If I were June V. I would give some serious thought to stepping down right after relieving all of my staff of their positions. It's time to start fresh..with new faces and attitudes.

I'd change the rankings structure and change from the current system (which was based on a similar old tennis system). To the new more fairer ATP Tennis Ranking system. Here's how it works!

ATP CHAMPIONS RACE

What is it?

An easy-to-understand, simple-to-follow annual race from season start to season end. Every player starts at zero at the beginning of the year and the player who accumulates the most points by season's end is the World Number 1.

How does it work?

Every player, regardless of his performances in the previous year, starts with zero points. Players count 18 performances in their ATP Champions Race total. Players eligible to enter the Grand Slams and Tennis Masters Series events must count those events and their best five other results from the International Series events. The Tennis Masters Cup will count as an additional 19th tournament for the eight players who qualify.

In bowling terms:

Your best 8 National events count to your end of year total. If you bowl 12 tournaments your best 8 performances get taken into account. If you only bowl 3 then your points total is reflected accordingly.

What if a player is injured and can't play?

If eligible to play in one of the Grand Slam or Tennis Masters Series events, a player must count the points from these tournaments, even if it is a zero because he missed the event. Just as in Formula One and numerous other sports, if a competitor misses a race or an event, he loses his chance to earn points.

Will a lengthy injury break result in a player's ranking plummeting so low he can't enter events after recovering?

No. Players will still have the benefit of a protected Entry System ranking that will allow them a period of protected entry status. However, the ATP Champions Race total will reflect only what they have achieved on the court during the year and will not be protected.

In bowling terms:

you don't bowl, no points!

MY SUGGESTION

* no rolling points system

* everyone starts from scratch at the start of the year

* points are collected by participating and performing in various tournaments

* some tournaments carry higher points than others (similar to the +/- 85 bowlers rule we have now)

* At the completion of the year you have your best bowlers for the year AND the Australian Masters seeding of the top 16 (my suggestion).

Which means if you finish in the top 16 in the Australian rankings you automatically get seeded into the Australian Masters. Only 9 spots are available to qualifies when you include the state and territory winners.

* THE TOP 7 MALE AND FEMALE BOWLERS ARE THE REPRESENTITVE TEAM FOR THE NEXT YEAR NO MATTER WHAT!

* NO SELECTION!

* NO SELECTION COMMITTEE!

* A CLEAR AND TRANSPERANT WAY FOR UP AND COMING BOWLERS TO SEE THEIR SPORTING PATHWAY (no hidden surprises)

Anyway, just my suggestion. I'll be forwarding a more detailed copy of this to TBA for them to discuss at their AGM. I can only hope. As it stands now, why do we have rankings?

I have no time for post bowls personally, unless there is a REALLY good reason.

However, I think pre-bowls have to stay. You can never be at league ALL the time especially if you do tournaments all over the country and/or overseas. You cannot dock people for this reason, as doing these tournaments, which means you can't turn up to league, enhances the sport of ten pin bowling.

I myself as a Uni student know I can't make league every week. Example, I have a uni exam tomorrow, I just simply can't make it to my two leagues tomorrow. You can't dock people for these types of reasons it just wouldn't be fair. Bowlers have committments that arise that just cannot be helped sometimes. Some of you might say well get a substitute to bowl for you...my answer is no thanks because I pay the money THEY don't. If I am paying the money I want the scores to be MY scores, not theirs.

Just my thoughts. :D

Back
Top Bottom