Walter De Veer 2005

grumpie

With the clear message made to TBA at last years forum about the cut for this tournament to be brought back to an A Grade event, I was just curious as to how all the states are going with their team selections.

I know here in Victoria, the first round is the 9th & 10th April with the second round on the first weekend in July, which will decide the team.

As I live in the country, I'm not in the know as much and aren't aware of too many trying out for the Vic side. I have read in the ACT forum that they haven't had many nominate for the team. I know SQ don't roll off until April but not sure of how many are trying out.

I would hate to think that with all the commotion about the average cut, that the change has not had too much of a positive impact on numbers trying out for the teams.

I know I will more than likely be not trying out due to some other commitments to a new sport. I still hope to be at the Nationals though.

Liz

2 and 3rd April, for SQ , dont know how many will be trying out, hehe not too many i hope

Should be good

Had a blonde moment there Noelene :oops: :oops: :oops:

I got the dates back-to-front for WDV and Junior Country Cup

Liz

Unfortunately here in NQ I think the raising of averages only helped just a little, numbers nominating were not huge. 12 I believe for W De Veer ladies, and men about the same I think. However, I think we would have been scratching around for a team if averages had not been raised. I know a lot of people who have not nominated due to cost, I think this is the biggest factor in people's decision not to nominate. It sure as heck cost us a lot of money last year, with those from Cairns (the bulk of the team) having to travel a minimum of 4/5 hours for both roll offs and all training weekends, (maybe 4 of those I think?) Those from mackay would have found the same. This year we have had the first roll-off at home, the second approx 8 hrs drive away in Mackay to be held in a couple of weeks. At this stage I don't know where training camps will be held this year, but the total cost from nominations until October last year would have really added up. You have got to really love the sport to make that kind of financial commitment and unfortunately some just cannot manage it. I still believe restoring averages to previous levels was a positive move, as you don't want bowlers left in never-never land; too high an average for Walter De Veer and not quite ready for Rachuig.
Good luck everyone with your roll-offs!

The Avg change was a good move but number's don't seem to have changed much, i thought it was a miss print when i saw the cost ( for Victoria ) and i belive that is and will alway's be the killer how can try to talk some-one into trying out when your up for $900-$1200 plus $150 for trying out and then travel and spending money :?: ( Not a criticism to any-one involved in the organizing of WDV Victoria i know that is the cost and if you whant to be a rep you have to come up with the dosh :) )

Maybe the individual states and there bowler's have to think of fund raising earlier or add some extra fee to all bowler's don't know.

Anybody whant to buy some chocolate's :D

Have no idea how many trying out for Vic WDV.

Have a question ( Have had look at TBA web site but could not find answer ) i have noticed in Vic the state restricted cup is at 164avg and under for men ( thought it would reflect WDV avg ) is that the same for the national's :?:
Gary....

Hey! That is a bargain! Our costs are estimated to be $1900 not including airfares (around another $500/$600 each) bout the same as last year, $100 to roll-off plus all travel costs to attend roll-offs, training camps, any extras (extra shirts etc) plus meals & spending money. I'm not saying these are not true costs or making criticisms either, this is just expensive business! I didn't keep track last year, too scary a thought, but I think I must have spent in total, including a nice house dress for the dinner of course LOL!, about $4,000-$5,000. We did as much fundraising as we could but the yield was a couple of hundred each, better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick of course but didn't put much of a dent in the bill. Going to be busy fundraising this year! Perhaps each state body needs to look at securing some major sponsorship for the team to help out. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying out for this, it's a wonderful opportunity but I must confess it was tough financially. Ultimately are we not getting the bowlers that can afford to play as opposed to the best bowlers available to each state? On the flipside of that comment the ones that do nominate must be dedicated bowlers.

So .. in the interests of getting as many people there as possible, how does everyone go about fund-raising?

We did a small amount last year with a bowling night, and during league we played Strikes and Spares ($2 in .. 33% to most strikes, 33% to most spares, 33% to De Veer players - if De Veer player wins Strikes or Spares, it goes into the player pool.) We raised about $12 a week on a 'bad' week. All up the 4 of us from our centre that made the team raised about $1000 between us.

This year I think I'm going to print myself some Stubby Coolers to sell, providing I make the team.

Spanner.

I agree that the money side of things is a real issue. I know down here at Sale people would love to give it a go but this area has been hit real hard with the drought and has affected the hip pockets badly. I work as an accountant and can verify that it the case and not just people crying poor.

When Darrell Holt ran WDV here in Vic he put a lot of time and effort into the money side of things. The cost was always reasonable (even when we had to travel to WA ) and that is why I feel we had 100 + people trying out back in those days.

In 2001 Grumpy and I were made managers and we held a dinner auction. Each team member had to secure 3 items. In the end we had over 100 items to auction off and ended up raising around $7,000.

The team that year had to pay $600 each. We ended up giving back $100 toward fuel to travel to ACT. So for the $500 each team member had their All Events paid for at the Nationals, a weeks accommodation plus all their meals paid for. The only time members had to dip into their pockets whilst in Canberra was for a drink when we went out for a meal.

I feel it was great value for their money. Gunther and I had to do a bit of leg work to achieve this but it was worth it. If the State Associations got people involved that are willing to put in a bit of effort (and they are around) I feel it would make a difference. However, they have to make sure that this is in place 12 months before hand and not with only 4 - 5 months to go before the event.

Obviously some states like Victoria have an advantage due to the large number of bowlers in a small state.

I hate to see this tournament struggle as I have a tremendous amount of respect for Darrell Holt in getting a tournament like this up and running. I feel in some way this is not doing justice for his efforts.

Liz

Here in SA our entries don't close until 31st March with rolloffs on 10th, 16th and 17th April. So far in my centre at least there has been quite a bit of interest as we have spoken to many about the competition. Costs are also an issue here but whats money!!!!!

Costs are $125 to roll off, $300 deposit 2 weeks after selection, another $300 in early July and the balance in last September (we organise our own airfares/travel). Luckily Marcie is a great fundraising co-ordinator and last year we did not need to pay any balance and some actually got money back. Training sessions/competitions add about another $400 plus meals, extra shirts, spending money, travel etc. All up prior to fundraising we need about $2000-2500 each.

There are 5 in my family trying out this year - could get expensive if we all make it. Plus several of our league members are also trying. Imagine the chocolates being sold in our Centre :D

Hope everyone has a great Easter.

Last year we had a wheelbarrow, booze and nibblies etc donated and raffled the wheelbarrow & contents. We also ran raffles of meet trays etc during league nights, and I think we had a weekend away which we also raffled.

How bout drugs?
Anyone want to buy drugs, if your quick you might make the rachuig team haha.

Just kidding , i thinking of maybe a sausage sizzle or something, outside the alley, and some raffles

What do you think Spanner?

What about my question dose any-one know the answer :!:
Restricted Cup what are the avg for National's :?:

Gary..............

Sorry! I checked the TBA site and I can't find the answer to your question. I do believe that last year not everyone who was eligible for Walter De Veer was eligible to bowl Restricted Cup... please correct me if I'm wrong, because I was mistakenly initially told I couldn't bowl in it, though I was bowling De Veer. From memory the average used for De Veer was as at 31st December, and Restricted Cup was average as at 30 June. I would be interested to know also what the cut off averages are for Restricted cup and as of what dates, does anybody know? I do hope they have been lifted also to the cut off averages for De Veer, most can't afford to stick around in another state for an extra week to bowl in the
"Open" Cup.

Yeah .. I was a victim of that last year...

They take the June 30 Avg for that .. I think last year for guys it was 169, which meant that any of the De Veer bowlers who had actually improved past the entering avg for De Veer couldn't bowl in the masters.

And it will happen again this year. I won't be sticking around for another 4 days after De Veer (if I make the team) to play in the Classic Cup.

Thank's Ducaticorse
that has answered my question.
Restricted cup Men no greater than 184 Women no greater than 174 good to see it is line with WDV avg :D

Hope the Victoria State Championship's restricted cup is changed to reflect the national restricted cup, as it still has it in line with last year's WDV avg.

Gary.......................

Back
Top Bottom