TQI Rules?

kustodian

Can rules change on the day of a tourmament regarding the handicap system of the tourmament? On the invitation form it stated 90% of 200 but on the day they changed it to a negative handicap for bowlers over 200 average.
How many games need to be played in league for it to be used as a tournament average? Is it 18 games?

How is that a change?
If you average 210, 90% of the difference between your average and 200 is -9. What's the problem?

How is that a change?
If you average 210, 90% of the difference between your average and 200 is -9. What's the problem?

Dunno, never been great at maths though the difference between -9 and 0 is -9.

Before the change if you were on a 210 average you would have no handicap (not negative either - i.e. 0). After the change you would be on a -9 as you stated. At the end of 10 games that is a 90 pin difference (in deficit). Sounds like a change to me.

Again not good at maths maybe 0 = -9 (???). :confused:

Cheers.

On the invitation form it stated 90% of 200 but on the day they changed it to a negative handicap for bowlers over 200 average.

If this is what the form said, -9 for 210 average is right, so it is not a change, it is simply correctly calculating the handicap as stated on the form.

Why should higher average (over 200) bowlers get an even bigger head start than the 90% rule already gives them by being on 0 handicap?

If this is what the form said

Is it not protocol to specify that negative (or minus) handicap applies on the entry form?

Not that I have read the entry form in question, though, all entry forms that I have read that does not specify that a negative handicap is in place go by the rule of thumb that any average equal to or greater than the cut off is given a zero handicap.

Could be wrong, I have not bowled any major tournaments, just locals, though all tournaments I have rolled have gone by this "rule of thumb".

The only (handicapped) tournament that I have bowled that has had a negative handicap in place, has specified this clause:
Bowlers with averages over 200 will be on MINUS Handicap.

No confusion, simple and concise.

Again I could be wrong and like usual Queensland is probably different to every other state. Dunno! :confused:

Cheers,

ok so negative handicap of 90 % of 200 and you have a 210 average. you would have a negative 9 handicap? so not only is it -9 but it turns it into a -18. 9 behind your average 9 to get back to your average. how is that fair to somebody who can hold an average over 200. would that not make you wont to sandbag to stay under 200?

Total agree with you. I know some bowlers out there with 220 averages, and it is a simple fact that those bowlers avoid tournaments with negative handicaps.

ok so negative handicap of 90 % of 200 and you have a 210 average. you would have a negative 9 handicap? so not only is it -9 but it turns it into a -18. 9 behind your average 9 to get back to your average. how is that fair to somebody who can hold an average over 200. would that not make you wont to sandbag to stay under 200?

????
Where does the -18 come from? On 210, it's -9. That is it.
So if you bowl average (210) you shoot 201 with handicap. And you beat anyone who has a lower average and only bowls their average. Just how much start do you want?

Hi Jedmat, Twin Tour had 23 bowlers in 2008 who bowled off MINUS HANDICAP - these bowlers have continued into 2009 and most bowled in 2007with their MINUS handicap. Depends on why and what you wish to bowl in ..... some even travel from over the Range !!!

Flower

From my understanding, if you accept invitation or pay entry into a tournament than the rules on the tournament continue as previously stated. in the case of the rules changing, they are to announce it first during the tournament meeting (if they even bother with these prior these days), and clearly advise of the changes, but than because these are changing the entering conditions, give anyone the opportunity to leave the tournament with full refund..

Problem you find now is, the tournaments are there to maximise entries (profit to the centre), rules will change to help keep the middle field happy they can beat the top of the field, and also to make sure its not seen the same people are winning all the time.. Ask a centre this and always will be denied.. but observation through many many tournaments and centres over the years show you this occurs..

Back
Top Bottom