positive axis point (pap)

T

The Morich Kid

can someone explain to us what the pap is and how do we find it on a ball? to settle an argument

the pap is the positive axis point, for a right hander this will be to the right hand side of the grip.

the easiest way to find your pap is the lay the ball so the track lays parrallel to the floor, the very top part of the ball would be classified as the pap, which of course is the half way point between your ball track on opposite sides of the ball

I think Craig is a bit confused on this one :p Or perhaps he forgot to proof read what he had written. :oops:

The easiest method of finding your PAP is to visit your local Pro Shop. They will own a ball spinner. Using the spinner, place the ball with the track side down. Turn on the spinner and look for the ball track outline to rotate smoothly, not wavering up and down. If it is wavering, stop the ball spinner and adjust the way the ball is sitting in the spinner cup. Once the ball track is constant, press a wax pencil at the top of the rotating ball. It will center up onto a point. This center is the PAP. To verify the location of the PAP, place a piece of thumb tape on this spot and throw a shot down the lane. This spot should stay still throughout the first 25 feet. For low flare balls (those with weaker core designs), this spot will stay still longer. Higher flare balls (those with stronger core designs) will cause the tape to begin wobbling sooner. This is why I suggest to use lower flaring balls (ideally your spare ball) to locate your PAP.

To measure the location of the PAP, you will need to be able to find the center of your span. This will be half the distance from the front edge of the thumbhole to the front edge of the fingers. From the center of span, draw a perpendicular line (lets call this line ”Horizontal‘) to the same side of the ball that the PAP is located on. More times than not, this line will not intersect directly with the PAP. You will need to draw a line vertically up (or down in some cases) to the PAP. This ”Vertical‘ line is perpendicular to the ”Horizontal‘ line. This will give you two measurements, horizontal and vertical, to accurately locate the PAP from the center of your span.

To find the positive axis can be hard if you have no track,so it's best if the ball can be bowled and caught in the machine before it rolls around,this should give you some nice oiley rings around the ball.Now you select the oil ring closest to the grip this should be the one that best shows the release position.Than you can mark with white pencil and put on a spinner or even just on a bench spin the ball around till line even than mark the very top of the positive side of the ball.This is not an exact science as just changing your finger pitch can alter your axis point.
willey.

well wayne, i read it again, and it made perfect australian sense

you explained about the ball spinner, i provided for not having access to one

you said track down, i said parrallel to the floor

i gave a quick and simple answer to a question, you can call me what you like, i know my stuff

Back
Top Bottom