Polyester Balls

T

Track_X

Hi I recently purchased the Track Bosing glove Sugar Ray Leonard...Does anyone else own this ball?I just wanted to find out if this ball can be resurfaced to look new again later on?It just looks so nice that I dont even wanna drill it.Im using it for my 6, 9 and 10 spares.Its a clear ball so I thought once it was scratched that it would be permanent...Its the one in my avatar.....Does anyone own a clear ball and how easily do they scratch and can they be fixed?Thank you.

Polyester balls resurface easily and magnificently. I once ressurrected a 30 year old white dot that had an inch thick gold sparkle clear case. I had to start with 24 grit (not 240) paper and it turned white initially. Did it look new when done? Well, when I walked up from the back of Chester Hill with it, people stopped bowling to look at it! It was scintillatiing. The guy who owned it wouldn't sell it to me or anyone else, alas! He got four offers that day!

Fear not. Polyester is in fact easier to resurface than most things. Deep gouges may need filling, but this can be done reasonably well too. E-mail or PM me if ever you need assistance for a deep gouge.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for that....Im sure my ball will capture some attention.....Im gonna get it drilled tomorrow with Bruno...He plugged one of my balls (Triple threat) and you have to look hard to see the plug...He resurfaces balls like magic too.....Do you have any pics of your ball.

It wasn't may ball. Just a resurfacing job I did when I ran Chester Hill Pro Shop. It was pretty though! Like an 8 1/2" diameter Christmas bauble! I wish I had a shot, but that was before digital cameras, so we didn't take photos of everything in sight as every shot costed money! :)

I could probably make one in 3D Max if I got excited enough... Hmmm... Better to have a life, I suspect!

Any ball can be resurfaced to like new, and as Jason said, polyester balls are most definetly the easiest to resurface. However there is a limit of how much material you can remove from the balls outer casing before you start to reduce the balls diameter which will affect how it is handled by the ball return system of the machines. In a Brunswick equipped house you may experience ball return problems with a ball that has a reduced diameter sooner than a AMF equipped house, on account of the different design of the ball return systems.

If you resurface your ball regulary, or try and remove a deep gouge by taking off a heap of material, you will sooner or later experience a reduction in the balls diameter, if you try and remove a deep scratch or gouge over a small area of the ball, you will create a flat spot, it may not be obvious by sight or by feel, but any material taken from the balls outer casing in only one area is going to cause a flat spot!!

If your ball has deep scratches or has been gouged, unless the scratch or gouge is on the ball track...........let it be!! your doing yourself an injustice by taking any material from the balls outer casing, the integrity and the roundness of the ball will be affected, depending on who does the work for you, you could end up with a ball that looks great but won't roll like it used to or should.

If you have a deep scratch or gouge on your ball in the ball track area, the best repair is supa-glue............clean out the scratch with some metho, make sure the scartch is clean, dry and free from oil, squeeze a few drops of supa-glue into the scratch, be sure you dome the glue over the scratch, the supa-glue will shrink slightly, this also allows any air bubbles to settle in the portion of supa-glue above the balls surface and also give you some material to cut back and polish..........give the glue at least 4 - 8 hours to dry, (the longer the better) take a smooth file and gently file the glue back, be carefull not to let the file hit the balls surface too much, keep the file moving in a roundish movement so as no to cause a flat spot on the repair...........once the excess glue has been removed you can go through the different grades of wet and dry, be sure to remove the scratch marks of each grade of wet and dry before progressing onto the next grade.

You can of course skip the filing step all together and just use the wet and dry to cut back the supa-glue, this way there is less chance of you making a mistake, it doesn't take much to cause a flat spot with a file.

To gain maxium holding power of the glue to the ball, you may need to "key" the supa-glue into the ball, by this, I mean, drill some very small holes into the ball inside the scratch on a angle away from the scratch, back into the ball. This is most definetly required for scratches that are shallow, if you don't do this, you run the chance of the repair falling out in avery short time!!

Unless you are completely confident of doing the above process, my advice would be to take your ball to a competent pro-shop operator.

I do hope that the average or novice bowler has a better understanding of the process for repairing ball damage and the consequences of resurfacing a ball to often or to aggressively.

Also understand that your throwing a plastic ball at 30 pounds of pins, the ball is being returned to you by a huge mechanical machine made of STEEL, you have to expect the odd scratch here and there.............it doesn't matter which centre you bowl at, all balls end up scratched..................it gives them character............:)

If you require more information on the ball repair process or don't fully uinderstand my post, you can post back here or contact me via private message.

Neville

Is that what you used to tell your bowlers at the centre you previously bludged at? The machines you neglected for so long as the Head Serviceman, it was an everyday occurance that bowling balls were severely damaged and in need of major repairs or replacing. I wonder if that is happening at the centre you have "shares" in?
I have never seen such disarray, such incompetence and such contemptuous neglect at any Brunswick equipped centre in Queensland.
Regardless of the so called 20 years of experience, it means absolutely nothing when you don't complete simple tasks, including maintenance.
You have no right to use the pseudonym of Brunswick Tech , when the majority of real technicians throughout Australia, know exactly who you are , and the laziness you are well known for.
I hope the centre you have financial interest in doesn't let you near the machines.
Don't bother using Neville Nobody any more.Although, that is pretty much, what you are........Mr M.L.

Tim

Hey Mate
I can tell u for a fact that the sugar ray leonard boxing glove ball can be resurfaced to look brand new! i have one and have done it before, it actually looks quite nice just sanded down as well, looks a bit like frosted glass! anyway, enjoy the ball, it's an absolute kid's magnet...
R

do u bowl telstar league?Dunno if u remba me but i was the 1 dat asked 2 have a look at ur ball few weeks back at blacktown.Ever since that moment I wanted that ball.U bowling the ball 2 made me want it as my spare ball.Was love at first sight.

Back
Top Bottom