PBA Will Unveil Its New Look For First Time In Wichita

milkman

Well, I can safely say this is where I want to be sometime in the future:

The PBA Columbia 300 Open is the first of 20 regular-season events that will be contested. It will take place at Northrock Lanes in Wichita, Kansas, from Thursday, September 13 through Tuesday, September 18.

Two of the most noticeable changes are the new tournament format and the new prize fund. Following the familiar practice and Pro-Am day, the bowlers will compete in nine games of qualifying. Only the top 64 make it out of the first round and an additional round of nine games will be contested the following day, after which a cut to the top 32 will be made.

Beginning with the final 32, single-elimination competition will commence. The bowlers must win a best three out of five match to stay alive in the tournament. After three complete rounds of head-to-head matches, four athletes will remain undefeated and will advance to the ESPN finals along with the athlete who had the best individual record in the tournament without advancing to the final four. This athlete will be deemed the wild card and will face the athlete among the final four who lost the most matches during head-to-head competition in match one of the live ESPN finals. Match two of the finals will consist of the two qualifiers from the other half of the bracket. The winner of match one will then face the remaining four qualifier in match three. Winners from match two and three will then meet in the title match to vie for the title and the top prize of $40,000 (more than doubled from last year’s Wichita first-place prize of $15,000).

The first-place prize is not the only dramatically increased money but the entire prize fund has more than doubled and now pays out to 64th place.

The above information was taken from www.pba.com

Already the new format has attracted new sponsors and a lot more bowlers. I'm sure the new format will be a hit with fans. Can't wait to see how things go.

I think the format has it's merits but I don't think it would work over here. I think the multiple re-entry events like they have on the Asian Zone Tour could be a success if introduced over here. The US and Asian markets are totally different.

We will have to wait and see what AMF have up there sleeve for next year.

George

George,

Whats the deal with getting into the PBA? Are there any pre-requisites, like having to win a tournament or place highly in a regional pba section or something?

And whats the cost of these tournaments? Its interesting to know for people who never get exposure to these tournaments first hand to know what it takes to get to the top

Milkman

To bowl on the National Tour you must first be a PBA member. This involves meeting the following:

# Have a minimum average of 200 established for 66 or more games in one league or tournament club season for the two most recent seasons.

# (Alternative) Have a minimum average of 220 established for 66 games in the most recent season.

# Have a good reputation (that would rule you out Milkman, lol)

# Be 18 or over

In becoming a member and paying your $19.95 US a month membership you MUST also cash in at least 2 Regional Events.

It's not easy, those guys are good!

Mate,

Just make sure you dont give this website to any of the directors of the PBA, cause if they catch a glimpse of some of your posts, they wont let you set foot in the country let alone their tournaments with your reputation :^)

Best of luck when you get over there, and no doubt I will see you at SPC

Thanks to George for listing some of the requirements for joining and bowling on the PBA Tour. What he forgot to mention was that the entry fee for a national event is $400 US
And for that amount you get to bowl in a tournament qualifier (PTQ). This season the PBA is limiting entries to 128 bowlers in the tournament proper, with 96 of those spots to be filled from amongst the touring pros, lifetime point list, tournament champions etc. This leaves 32 spots available for those of you who plan on trying out the tour. It's expected that there will be 100+ bowlers competing in a PTQ to see who gets in the tournament. If a bowler is not successful in getting past the PTQ he is refunded $200..whoohoo!

The estimated cost of competing on the PBA circuit is in the vicinity of $2,000 AUD per week. Deep pockets are definitely a must..that and heaps of talent, because these ARE the greatest bowlers in the world!

Milkboy,

What reputation are you talking about? I spoke to the new Commisioner of the PBA for sometime in Las Vegas at the 2001 Bowl Expo and he seemed very keen for more internationals to join, especially me.

Can you clarify your statement?

G

Settle down George, it was a light hearted comment in response to your comment:

"# Have a good reputation (that would rule you out Milkman, lol)"

If you took it the wrong way, I apologise :^( If not, it still stands!

Back
Top Bottom