Oil Patterns & State Roll-Offs

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Up to the present time we have never really bothered to specify any particular oiling pattern for State Team Roll-Offs. We usually leave it up to the Centre to lay down the pattern without any particular instructions.
Could we please have some feed back on this?

I like what the youth do they bowl on short and long and the same when they go away.

Would be best if we could get the roll off on what would be close to the same when ya go away if possilbe

Nothing personal, but who in TBAQ could specify a pattern to a centre, and then be certain that what they have requested is what has been put down??

its something i agree with.
Rachuig for example why would we lay an easier house type shot or a very extreme pattern as was seen in rocky.
I think the best idea would be use the previous years Rachuig pattern.
Or in the case of youth use the previous years Short and Long pattern.

Any centre tendering for a State Championship or Roll Off should have to have a kegal and be prepared to lay a condition TBAQ sets.

Holt roll-offs were long and short oil - don't know the pattern(s). This is a preferred idea I believe but as BM2 says, who is going to insist on its application?

Just on Kegels, they are no better than any other machine unless they are PROPERLY cleaned and maintained as per manufacturers instructions. In fact they can be bl--dy useless if neglected.

lay a short and a long for the short 24ft flat 40 boards and the long 40ft flat 40 boards that will sort out your team for you if they can all score on that they will score on almost anything.

Broni you are quite right, but unless we put the tape over the lanes immediately before the roll-off we wont know anyway and it wouldn't really be practical to do that. We really have to trust the Centres to put the specified pattern down.

I would like a matchplay component incorporated into the roll offs....rather than straight pinfall.
this thread was about oil patterns but if people want to post about criteria of the roll offs i believe that the association challenge should be a part of selecting a team there are ten teams of men and women who fight till the last ball is bowled in 5 man team head to head scratch. they all want to be there and most of them still go and support their respective teams even if they dont make it that year.
now isnt that what rachuig is supposed to be like?

this thread was about oil patterns but if people want to post about criteria of the roll offs i believe that the association challenge should be a part of selecting a team there are ten teams of men and women who fight till the last ball is bowled in 5 man team head to head scratch. they all want to be there and most of them still go and support their respective teams even if they dont make it that year.
now isnt that what rachuig is supposed to be like?
i think thats a great idea
infact why couldnt the team be picked entirely on that. They only drawback would be it would only leave 4 months to make payments and organise fundraising

i think thats a great idea
infact why couldnt the team be picked entirely on that. They only drawback would be it would only leave 4 months to make payments and organise fundraising

To bad for people that cant roll off for a team! :confused:

I believe what Luke is suggesting may be possible.
It appears this ruling covers that situation. What do others think?
iii) A State/Territory/Zone Committee may choose to select their team from
participants in one or a number of events held in their State/Territory/Zone. In that
case, the State/Territory/Zone Committee must determine the number of members
to be automatically placed and the number to be selected. The State/Territory/Zone
Committee must ensure adequate notification is made if selecting this option.

On the question, when I conducted our State Teams Trials a few weeks back I discussed it with the centre, and they put down two different patterns. I did not specify what to put down, as much as I described what I wanted to achieve and let the expert set the actual patterns.

This was quite well received too, I think the bowlers appreciated the differences.

How about setting a selection format like the national team just was - weighted points for your finishing positions across several events

Interesting, I like the idea behind the selection via Association Challenge, perhaps in addition to the State Champs all events ~ although I do symphise with those in areas that dont have representation in this event.

Perhaps those bowlers not in a region with an association challenge team may be able to roll off/represent the closest association (eg Gladstone & Rocky, Maryborough & Harvey Bay). Then again, might be hard to keep centre politics out of this (although you would hope they could look at bigger picture). Another alternative could be to use the total bowling circuit points ???

I have thought that is the way the team should have been picked for a long time but in saying that you have to bring in a way that the northern bowlers would be able to participate. The other option is allow the weaker teams "not trying to offend" to draft the bowlers from the north keen to try for the team as well. Problem is then you are taking a spot away from a bowler that bowls every association chellenge. The other way is you have a team chellenge event at the states where teams from all associations can put a team in like country cup.

Back
Top Bottom