Good luck to the Aussies in Malaysia

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Good to see some locals giving the International scene a crack and gaining valuable experience. Good luck....

Nice scores, not surprised with ball selection knowing that lane surface :) Keep up the good work and expect the lanes to change for the finals.... they always do

Aussies stamp their mark

14th December, K.Lumpur: Australian youths stamped their mark at the 11th MILO International Junior All Stars as Ashley Warren and Sam Cooley occupied the top two spots in the Boy's Open Masters overseas qualifiers' pool while Matt Watson shot the tournament's second 300.

Sam Cooley of Australia, who has been here in Malaysia since day one of qualifying round, had already made improvements to fire 674 and was leading the Boy's Open Masters overseas pool for the past few days until he was dislodged by Hong Kong Open Youth champion, Cheng Hsing-Yueh of Chinese Taipei last night.

But the 19-year-old from New South Wales on his 20th attempt, made further improvements to 710 to take the lead late last night. His lead again was snatched away, but this time by his compatriot, Ashley Warren.

Warren shot 269, 242 and 244 to take over the lead with 755 while another Aussie, Matt Watson posted the tournament's second perfect 300 in his first game of the 3.00pm squad. But the lanes just went away for the 23-year-old as he managed only 154 and 199 to end with 653.

Cooley then returned for his 21st attempt at 5.30pm squad and shot his career 17th and the tournament's third perfect 300 on his third game after rolling 220 and 198 earlier. His new total of 718 kept him still in second.

"I've not seen such a hugh response to a junior tournament ever and this is by far the biggest I've competed in," said the 23-year-old Warren, who represented Australia at the Asian Youth Championship in Kuwait.

"Although this is my first tournament here but sadly it'll also be my last as I won;t be eligible. I'm sure many more youths from Australia will come here next year.

While the Aussies made their mark, three-time Junior All Stars champion and Asian Games Doubles gold medalist, Adrian Ang quietly regained top spot in the local pool with a stunning 767. Syimir Abd Razak and Johnathan Chan slipped down to second and third.

There were no changes in the local pool of the Girl's Open division but Western Australia's Libby Embury posted an impressive 686 to take over top spot in the overseas pool. Overnight leader, Michaela Oehler dropped to second with 631.

Hong Kong's Victoria Chan did well to make the cut in third position with 629 while EBT Ranked No. 2, Wendy Kok of the Netherlands and Bianca Tofilau of New Zealand shared fourth spot with 628.

Qualifying for the Graded division will end December 15 while the Open division continues till December 16. The Graded Masters finals will be held on December 16 and the pen division on December 17.

Just cutting and pasting from the ABF site mate, I'm glad there is so many Aussies over there having a go, the experience is invaluable. Well done to Daniel too!

The Aussie bowlers have been busy, congrats on your performances

Libby Embury finished 13th in the Youth Girls U/15 and backed up with 11th in the Youth Girls Open Masters.

Jacinta Gilliland finished 14th in the Youth Girls Open Masters

In the Youth Boys Open Masters:
Sam Cooley 8th
Matt Watson 10th
Daniel Webb 28th
Troy Marshall 30th
Ashley Warren 32nd

And perfect games from Matt Watson and Sam Cooley during qualifying !!

Leanne

Back
Top Bottom