CLIFF-HANGER FINISH TO NSW OPEN TOURNAMENT

Jase

Admin
Staff member
CLIFF-HANGER FINISH TO NSW OPEN TOURNAMENT

2007 NSW Open – AMF Castle Hill Bowl

The 2007 NSW OPEN staged this weekend at the popular AMF Castle Hill Bowl in Sydney produced a thrilling finish for competitors and spectators alike. The tournament attracted a record field of Australia’s top-ranking men and women, and a strong contingent of bowlers from New Zealand.

Overnight leader in the Men’s division, George Frilingos from Brisbane who won the event in 2003 and 2004 was relegated to second place this year after a determined onslaught by Jason Belmonte, who clinched the winner’s trophy and prizemoney with a stunning 249.29 matchplay average. The legendary young bowler from Orange, who has accumulated a swag of medals and major titles at home and abroad, is renowned for his unorthodox ‘two-handed’ delivery that has earned him some of the world’s most coveted bowling trophies.

Belmonte amassed a total pinfall, with bonus points of 5017, ahead of Frilingos on 4992, with Victoria’s Mac Stewart in third place on 4813. Seasoned Australian representative, Andrew Frawley, who is now based in Dubai as Coach to the UAE Federation, finished in sixth position behind Jason Walsh from Northern New South Wales and New Zealand’s Eric Ang.

The Women’s division was won by former World Masters champion, Ann Maree Putney from Newcastle with a 229.57 matchplay average and 3891 total pinfall while Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Maxine Nable notched up a total pinfall of 3856, including bonus points, to secure second place ahead of sisters Jayde and Bianca Flanagan who finished third and fourth with totals of 3583 and 3536 respectively.

Belmonte thanked the organisers, AMF Australia, fellow competitors and sponsors in a short prize-giving ceremony at the conclusion of the tournament, acknowledging the calibre of competition that made his success even sweeter. Runner-up George Frilingos echoed Belmonte’s comments saying that despite his loss on this occasion, he was very happy with the way he bowled, and adding that the extremely close finish had been a real ‘crowd pleaser’.

Full scores for every game of the 2007 NSW OPEN can be found on www.totalbowling.com.au at the link provided

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/news/livescores/

Story Lynne Clay

Without trying to detract from the article, what's the Cliff-hanger bit? I've missed something...

When matchplay started, Jason was 2nd, 145 behind George. Despite George averaging 230 for the matchplay, Jason ran him down.

The cliff hanger was that in that last game, George played Jason with Jason needing to win by 6 plus bonus to seize the title. Almost scripted, it was a very intense affair. Ironically, after doing his nut at George about lucky carry (yeah, he had some), Jason clinched the title by pulling the two pin forward! That said, he was awesome in matchplay. George was truly excellent, but Jason stole the show.

It was great to watch. Well done both George and Jason.

:D congrats to all and to mac my fellow swans supporter you are bowling awsome at the moment you arent far away from a big one keep it up you are doing better then our footy team lol;)

Sounds like a cliff hanger to me!
Congratulations Jason, George, and Mac.
It was a bloody ripper!

I also meant to add that I didn't see a lane breakdown the whole time we were there! Congrats to the staff and management of Castle Hill Wonderbowl! (Sorry, I can't bear the spelling of the business name and must deliberately misspell it!) ;)

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom