Bargains arent really

W

westie

I knows this kind of topic has been posted before, but I keep hoping things will change.

I've never bought any bowling gear of the net and I don't think I ever will (not balls anyway). I saw what I thought was a cheap ball:

1 ColTiMessengerPearl Columbia Ti Messenger Pearl
Weight : 15
$87.50 $87.50
Subtotal $87.50
Sales Tax $0.00
Shipping $177.67
Less Certificate
Total $265.17

That total looks pretty scary to me. Times that by 2 to put in australian dollars and I might aswell get a flight to sydney instead.

Don't waste your time looking for balls on the net, it's just not worth it. (Perhaps Australian sites would be better).

If that is in American dollars, then you were ripped off for shipping. The cheapest I have seen is like $80 for say a 3 day air freight.

You need to weigh up whats better. Say a ball costs $90 american, and shipping is say $100, thats about $360 australian.

Now considering that ball probably costs about the same, or just a little cheaper here in Australia, it would be wiser to purchase it here.

You have your AMF pro shops, and then the different proprietor pro shops around the country, and Im sure they would get it delivered to you door via Australia Post or some other means.

If you want to know of some places to shop from here in Australia, shoot me an email, I wont plug any *particular* persons/companies here, they have all been helpful to me in the past.

I was thinking about this on the weekend, thought Id make another post.

Purchasing bowling *balls* over the internet, is no cheaper than purchasing them from a pro shop here in Melbourne. Smaller goods like shoes, wristguards and other stuff, *may* be of some financial benefit to purchase them overseas.

For example, the cheapest you are going to find a pair of Dexter SST6's here in Australia would be no CHEAPER than $350. But, from purchasing them over the net, with around a week delivery time, you can get them for $265.

My understanding is that for items under the value of $250 per invoice, to be used for PERSONAL use, do not incur tax or customs charges. This is the same if you bring anything back into the country. Ive had this discussion with customs before over the phone, and they tell you that everything must go thru customs, but not once have I had to pay if the value is under $250 AU (dont include shipping).

While in Hawaii last year I purchased a Messenger Pearl for $140US so that is about $280AUS and a pair of left hand Linds for about $120US which is about $240AUS. These items were in my luggage, were declared and I wasn't even charged excess baggage, which isn't bad considering it was a 15lb ball.

If you can wait, the cheapest freight from the US to AU is from the US Postal system. The item will be shipped by boat. 4-6 weeks.

One ball would be about US$38 and two balls would be about US$60.

Airmail is about US$80 a ball or US$145 or two.

Insurance extra.

Don't know if any of you will be at the Asian Championship in Hong Kong, I will be there.

Wilbert,

The problem is, the australian dollar conversion means that unless we buy in mega bulk, there is no real savings for any individual in australia.

For example:

Using http://www.bowling.com which is an american online pro shop, I was going to buy around 5 balls from there.

Median price of $140 American a ball, and then $40 freight per ball, via air mail. Thats $180 a ball, about $330 Australian at the moment. Then we get tax, duty, and customs clearance charges. I spoke to a shipping company, and they worked out that around $430 per ball once they were all cleared.

There are a few online pro shops in australia that can sell cheaper than $430 for all high performance balls, so why would we give our dollars to the guys in the states, when we can give our money to the local guys. This helps them buy new technology, expand their business, and ultimately help our sport in this country.

This is in no way a "dont buy from the states" attitude. Its more of a "if its the same price, you are better off buying it here". Sometimes its cheaper from america, sometimes its more expensive. Balls are definately no better off buying them from overseas (most of the cost is the freight), but items like shoes and smaller goods may be better off.

As far as I understand, for PERSONAL use only, you can get any item sent from overseas to Australia under the value of $250, without having to pay tax or customs. I had quite an argument with the shipping company DHL over this, where the ball came to a value of $249, and they slugged me with a $55 customs charges. This ended up being waived after them being pointed out to them.

So items like dexter shoes, may be of benefit for you to buy overseas. Heritage Bay is the sole distributor of dexter shoes in Australia, im yet to find anyone who can sell them for under $350 (their profit margin is small enough on it as it is, as they hay to pay through the roof to get them). I managed to get a pair of shoes, air freighted to my house, for $270 (thats without those nasty tax/customs charges).

Its all about the dollars. If you can save them, why not. But your local pro shop is always your best shot.

I for buying from whoever gives you the best deal. I am not promoting one place or another. I was just giving options to the other people for freight.

PS. I just check the price of Dexters. A price I found is US$105 for Dexter 5 and US$115 for Dexter6. This does not include freight/duty/taxes.

I find some for the prices that you are quoting for freight on the high side as 2 balls by u.s post costs about 25 to 30 US but it does take up to 8week.
icon_smile.gif

Hi

To all who purchase overseas, particularly bowling balls - be warned,

when the ball goes wrong because of a fault and IT DOES HAPPEN you are on your own unless you can afford to air mail return the ball for a claim.

Plus there is a possibility you will have to pay GST on the return ball(s) even though they are technically free or at no cost.

Your cheap ball is now even more expensive when it's a flop. If you like it, do it - if not - Be careful.

Also they do get lost - somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom